Saturday, October 14, 2023

On this date 77 years ago ...

     On October 14, 1946, Rozette Lopes Dias -- then with the last name Lazer -- married Louis Van Thyn in war-weary Amsterdam.
    We are still grateful 77 years later.
The wedding photo: 1946
    Who knew on that day -- a Monday and a trip to City Hall for the wedding ceremony -- how long their lives would go, and how far they would travel.
     They'd known each other for little more than a year. And they had been through so much in the previous half-dozen years, some horrific experiences -- certainly not of their choosing.
     They each had lost so much, and they had precious little family remaining.
     So, who knows how deep their love was then. But they knew they needed each other.
      Their stories -- their combined story -- has a beautiful ending, of course: Almost 62 years of marriage, the last 51-plus in two homes they owned.
       And such good fortune: Two children they never expected -- me and my younger sister Elsa --  and from that, five grandchildren. From there, to the present-day nine great-grandchildren (but only a couple born while Louis and Rose still lived).
       Plus, a journey of almost 5,000 miles and two weeks from the wonderful place where they grew up (Hup Holland!) to the country  where Mom always dreamed of living, the result of how well American military personnel treated her and other women Holocaust survivors upon rescue in early 1945.
      And what culture shock -- from a busy center of a million people to a state and city of which they'd never heard (Louisiana? Shreveport?).
    They could not have known, did not know, how accepting, how helpful, those people in Shreveport would be. First, the Jewish community, but soon far beyond that, from all over. 
      It was a perfect fit, certainly moreso than it could have been in, say, the New York City melting pot of millions.           
      In 1 1/2 years, they were home owners. In five years, they became U.S. citizens ... and darned proud of it.
      Parts of their hearts, though, was with the few family members and many friends they left behind in The Netherlands. And also with the friends -- and eventually some family -- in Israel, the Jewish-dominated state created in 1948.
       That included the very couple that had introduced them to each other in the summer of 1945. Those two people were the only married couple housed -- in an attic room -- at the former factory converted into a safe shelter for women Holocaust survivors who had returned to Amsterdam.
     The man knew Dad from boyhood days in Amsterdam. The woman was Mom's best friend at Auschwitz; they had been in elementary school together and had reunited while standing in line after they got out of the cattle-car transport to the concentration camp.
     After they survived the Holocaust, that couple moved to Israel, specifically to Narahija.
      Which brings us to today, to this past week and Hamas' invasion of Israel. 
       Because -- as I've been asked repeatedly this week -- we do have distant connections in Israel.
      That couple's granddaughter is now on active duty with the Israel military.
      A grandson and granddaughter of Mom's favorite first cousin (Maurits) in Amsterdam, and the granddaughter's husband (a tank driver) are reservists called to active duty. 
      Maurits' son married an Israeli girl; they live in Jerusalem. And Maurits' daughter, who lives in Antwerp, Belgium, has four children living in Israel, but -- because they are Belgian citizens -- none are in the service. 
     (Maurits' children are our second cousins, once removed. At least, that's the best we can figure.)
---  
      Can tell you this: Grateful that Mom and Dad are not around to endure this latest invasion of Israel. They would have been extremely concerned.
      Because that's how they were in 1967 (the "Six-Day War" and 1973 (the Yom Kippur War) when Arab military forces invaded Israel.
       Television news then wasn't 24-7 -- Shreveport had only three TV stations and three networks -- but Mom watched (and worried) every report. Dad was working at the pipeyard, but I know he and the people there were paying attention.
       I think about this now because we've had the news on constantly here. 
      Thought about writing about baseball -- how much I've watched this Texas Rangers' season -- or football (LSU, Louisiana Tech and the Dallas Cowboys are always topics of interest in this apartment). 
      Wanted to say how good the Rangers have been and how good it feels for their fans. Same for the Houston Astros and their Yankees-like dynasty of the past seven years.
       But writing about athletics just didn't seem right this week. (Maybe if a certain team had recaptured its glory of so many decades I might be more involved, but that hasn't happened in 14 seasons. So there.)
        No, there is sadness here for all those deaths and injured in Israel, in Gaza. Not only the Jewish people, but the thousands of innocent Palestinians. They, too, are victims of Hamas, and Israel's penchant -- determination -- for revenge.
       No winners in this. None. No end in sight.
       Sad.
       And when I heard on TV someone say that "people died just because they were Jewish," I thought, yes, that's how it was for our grandparents, uncles and aunts, Mom and Dad's first spouses, plus their many uncles, aunts and cousins.
      Even through many good times, Mom and Dad never forgot. Nor do we ever forget, and we shouldn't.
      We want Israel to survive and thrive. But we, too, want the Palestinians to have peace and good times.
      We are for peace, period.
      I know those two people who took those wedding vows -- who committed to each other -- on October 14, 1946, would approve of that.
      They were blessed, and so were we. We wish the same for millions of others.          
          

26 comments:

  1. Well written and temperate. I cannot write my feelings in such a restrained manner so I won't try. But as for the American lives that were lost, the world needs a lesson in what it means to harm an American. And that lesson should be one that is remembered 1000 years from now.

    ReplyDelete
  2. From Kitty Wiener (in Israel): Thank you. My thoughts are with the hostages and the families of the murdered men, women, children, babies. I am glad my parents died in a country they felt safe in. We now feel less safe, and hope we will find a way to peace. War is never a solution.

    ReplyDelete
  3. From Kitty van der Woude (in The Netherlands): Thank you so much for your article, it is always great to think of your parents. The other day Esther presented me with Survivors: 62511, 70726, the luxury version this time. It has a clear place of honor in my living room.
    We are glued to the TV here, broadcasts all day. It is such a horrible situation. Last weekend I was in Bilbao, Spain, with Mirjam and Esther. They did not dare tell me about the Hamas attack, but they finally reaped up all their courage and showed me.

    ReplyDelete
  4. From Susan Updegraff: What a beautiful piece that you've written. I loved the photo of your parents; you look so much like your dad.
    I pray that these atrocities end quickly. I can't even imagine how people think like Hamas. It all breaks my heart.

    ReplyDelete
  5. From Larry Powell: This is so touching, and we have to find a way for peace to exist. I'm an optimistic lapsed Baptist Boy who believes the planting of the seed of a peaceful world could be happening right now. God bless Israel! Humans -- sometimes we're just too inept to take a hint.
    Peace for us all. I may be a Lapsed Baptist, but my brother Barry and his wife Shelley and their kids and grandkids are Jewish, some of the kids live in Europe. I've been at a high rate of "anxiety" for more than a week now.
    God save the innocents and teach lessons to those who aren't.

    ReplyDelete
  6. From Dick Hicks: Yes, indeed -- how terrible. Sharon and I stay in prayer for Israel and all Jewish people.

    ReplyDelete
  7. From Jo Jackson: Blessing their memories on the 77th anniversary of their wedding.💙

    ReplyDelete
  8. From Lorie Grandclair-Diaz: A lovely post. I'm praying for Israel and for your family.

    ReplyDelete
  9. From Kim Oakey: Louie and Rose were amazing people. Also thinking and praying for Israel 🥲

    ReplyDelete
  10. From Stephanie Sumner Brentlinger: Heartbreaking situation. I stand with Israel.

    ReplyDelete
  11. From Al LeGrand: As usual, a beautiful and well-written article. I know your Mom and Dad would be proud of their children and families. Thanks for sharing your thoughts and feelings.

    ReplyDelete
  12. From Lynn Walford: I was privileged to hear your mother speak at LSUS some years ago. I will never forget her beautiful spirit.

    ReplyDelete
  13. From Pat Booras: These are trying/seemingly perilous times around the world. My heart is with and for all people … and at the top of that list is Israel and its citizens, and Jewish people around the world.
    Not sure about the exact solution(s) needed, but some level of response action is needed/necessary.
    Hoping all people on the earth can find more warmth in their hearts more often.

    ReplyDelete
  14. From Dru Mason: This is my favorite article you have done. God bless them all and may they rest in peace.

    ReplyDelete
  15. From Cathy Minter McCullar: We will not forget, either.

    ReplyDelete
  16. From Jerome Vascocu: Well said. Thanks for the moving personal account. God bless you, my friend of 57 years.

    ReplyDelete
  17. From Glenn Pannell: I am so pleased you shared this with me. I am blessed to have you as my neighbor and a special friend.
    Maybe some day... some time .....I'll share with you how my life was enriched by Irwin Martin Rosenbaum and Lenore Itkin Rosenbaum,
    ... and personally touched by Rabbis William and Ellen Kraus, the first Reform Rabbinical couple in the USA (1983).

    ReplyDelete
  18. From Joyce Gerrick: That was a beautiful story of love and survival. I think they would be horrified if they could see this week's events in Israel. I know that I am horrified and saddened by all that has happened this week. Israel must survive and live.

    ReplyDelete
  19. From Bill and Shirley Workman: Thank you for this very special tribute today. We are continuing to pray for everyone involved in this tragedy and for peace in the world.

    ReplyDelete
  20. From Allene Booth Judson: Thank you so very much for your very beautiful e-mail of your written thoughts. I read it with the television going non-stop in the background. I finished with tears in my eyes.

    ReplyDelete
  21. From Margaret Augustat: My thoughts are with you and all Jewish people in the world. Many of my dearest friends are Jewish. I feel so torn up with what Hamas has done. They are evil and persons without a soul. I imagine this is a bittersweet
    memory of your parent’s anniversary.
    I never thought that anything like this could ever happen again. My prayers are with Israel and all of you wishing peace for our world. We are all brothers and sisters.
    Thinking of your parents ...

    ReplyDelete
  22. From Marvin Bahnman: Thank you for that. It is sad, sad, sad to see man's inhumanity to humanity. I am praying for Israel ... and for peace around the world.
    At the same time, I am thankful that your parents survived, married and gave birth to you and your sister. That is their blessing to all of us.

    ReplyDelete
  23. From Mickey Franks: I always enjoy your blog posts. This is beautifully written. I can feel the joy, the sorrow, the concern for everyone who is touched by this. It is heartbreaking. I pray for peace. Thank you.

    ReplyDelete
  24. From Carol Craig: This is a beautiful story, thank you for sending it. I am absolutely appalled at the number of people who are pro-Hamas and anti-Israel! Most appalling is the number of Jewish people who do not support their own. I will never understand it. Political brain-washing?

    ReplyDelete
  25. From Charles Harvey: I enjoyed seeing the picture of your mom and dad. You had some wonderful parents that I think exemplified grace and courage. They continue to have an influence on so many, including me. Your comments were very meaningful and thoughtful.

    ReplyDelete
  26. From Dr. Victor Meltzer: This is Karie, Vic's daughter. We read your blog post and we thoroughly enjoyed every word. Thank you for the compassion and thoughtfulness.

    ReplyDelete