Thursday, October 5, 2023

A hectic first night at the Star-Telegram


    When No. 3-ranked Texas and No. 12-ranked Oklahoma -- both 5-0 and on their Big 12 farewell tour -- meet Saturday afternoon at the Cotton Bowl, it will remind me of ... 2001.
     Similar scenario, another monumental Red River Rivalry football game.
    But what I remember about 2001's meeting is not the game; it's the night before. Friday, October 5, 2001.
     My first night working at the Fort Worth Star-Telegram. One of the most memorable -- and most important -- work shifts in a five-decade career.
    It would change lives, Beatrice and me and our kids. 
    As happened far too often, I needed a job. And here was a prospective one.
    Had been in contact with the Star-Telegram sports editor, Celeste Williams, and had an advantage -- a recommendation from a friend with a Shreveport newspaper connection.
    So when Celeste invited me for a "tryout" or "audition," I made the trip from Knoxville, Tennessee -- where we'd been for six years -- through Shreveport (to see my parents) and into a city where the West begins, but where I'd rarely been.
     (Had two other job chances then, in Marshall, Texas -- only 40 miles from Shreveport and the aging Rose and Louis -- and in Orlando, Florida. But neither felt like a fit.)
      It was an unsettling time for us; let's sum it up with "personal problems." But what great fortune the trip to Fort Worth was.
       And what an unforgettable night at the Star-TelegramI'd never seen anything like it. It was a helluva challenge.
       Worked my tail off that night (we all did); met a whole bunch of strangers, some of whom would become very good friends. Found a staff so talented and so deep (numbers-wise). 
      Had the privilege of working for a sports editor who was wise and organized and loyal, and would become a person we so loved and admired (and lost far too soon). Made our home in an area where I'd always wanted to be, and at one of the most-established newspapers in this part of the country.    
      Had interviewed with the Dallas Morning News sports department in early 1982, and had a brief dalliance with Star-Telegram sports in summer of 1995. Neither was the right time, right place.
      But this time -- early October 2001 -- was my chance. Boom!
---
      The country was in a mess, the September 11 attacks still on everyone's mind. Travel by airplane was still uncertain, so I made the long drive (11 hours to Shreveport).
The tornado-wrecked Tower
     Fort Worth had a visible scar, too -- the many shattered windows of The Tower, the 35-story building a long foul ball away from the Star-Telegram office in downtown. It had been struck by the F3 tornado a year and a half earlier; the talk was that it was going to be demolished (it wasn't). 
     My connection to the S-T was Lois Norder, a managing editor (in charge of terrorism-related coverage) and also editor of the paper's Northeast edition. In the mid-1980s, we had been at the Shreveport Journal; she was a star reporter/writer, and so was her husband, Steve. It was a wonderful time at the Journal.
      So, a Friday night in Fort Worth, and I quickly was amazed at the personnel in the sports department. More than 30 people -- four assistant sports editors, three copy "chiefs" (final proofers, approve or rewrite headlines), a Sunday-section editor, three high-school editors, nine copy editors (like me), eight page designers, three "agate" scoreboard editors ... and later a dozen parttimers to take high school call-in statistics and game details.
     (Came to learn that we had 85 fulltime people in sports, and about 40 "stringers" or parttimers. Not making this up. The Star-Telegram, in the early 2000s,  was what I called "fat" in personnel. And, yes, we were among the best sports sections in the country. The awards received in those years proved that.)
     What an operation it was, especially that night.  (Turned out, there were many nights like this.)
     What made it extra challenging was this: A Barry Bonds "special" section that was pending.
     Bonds, with 70 home runs, needed one to break  Mark McGwire's single-season record (set in 1998).  The San Francisco Giants were playing on the West Coast, and would not start until 9 p.m. our time.
    A four-page section was planned, if it happened.  
    But also there was a 16-page regular sports section, and an eight-page high school section (with three separate "zone" editions). I'd never experienced that kind of volume.
    So when I got the "duty roster," with copy-editor assignments, it was just a bit daunting. 
    Plus, a bunch of strangers around me, and yet another strange computer system to battle.
    Vince Langford was one of the sports copy desk assignment gurus, and a great help. He would become one of my best friends there (and a super talent, with words and sports knowledge). 
     He was sitting closeby, guiding me through stories.  I work quickly, so he kept giving me stories. I hadn't worked in a couple of months, so I was eager, and it was exciting.
       We were waiting on the Bonds saga, but meanwhile, here is the scope of what that night was like, how many stories we worked ...
Sports front page -- Oct. 6, 2001
      -- The Texas-OU advance pages, several stories, a position-by-position breakdown. It was the first Longhorns-Sooners game with both teams ranked in the top five in 17 years (OU was No. 3; UT No. 5); the Sooners were the defending national champion and had a 17-game winning streak, but had squeezed past Kansas State 38-37 the week before.
     -- College football advance stories ... Wendell Barnhouse's whole page of stories (he was covering Florida-at-LSU that Saturday, features (one on Tennessee wide receiver Kelley Washington, who had caught 11 passes for 256 yards against LSU the previous Saturday, a game the kids and I attended in Knoxville; Vols won 26-18. But LSU got even that December in the SEC Championship Game).
    -- It was a Texas Motor Speedway weekend -- a NASCAR Craftsman Trucks race that night, an Indy Racing League 300 on Saturday.
    -- The Dallas Stars played their first-ever regular-season game at the $46 million American Airlines Center, a 4-1 victory against Nashville. So a Jim Reeves column and several stories on the game.
     -- The Texas Rangers were playing a late game at Seattle; the Mariners had beaten them 16-1 on Thursday night (coverage in the Saturday paper). Alex Rodriguez hit his 52nd home run for the only Rangers run; Rafael Palmeiro had two of their four hits. Seattle had a spectacular 114-45 record; the Rangers were only 42 games behind them in the standings.)
   -- The Dallas Cowboys, with Dave Campo as head coach, were 0-3 and getting ready to play at Oakland, and rookie QB Quincy Carter was about to make his first start. (They lost 28-21 that Sunday.)
    -- The Dallas Mavericks were in training camp, with a young owner (Mark Cuban), an innovative head coach (Don Nelson), and three star players (Michael Finley, and two young superstars-in-the-making, Steve Nash and a 7-foot German guy who had a great shooting touch, Dirk Nowitzki.
    -- There was quarter-horse racing at Lone Star Park.
    All these elements had one or multiple stories.
     And then there was high school football. I knew what Friday nights were like in the fall, but this was a mad scramble -- game after game story to work, first-come basis.
    So, about 40 games covered, with 20 full stories to work. I remember editing a Brownwood vs. Stephenville story, not knowing how huge a rivalry that was. 
   All this, and -- while high school games are coming in -- we're watching Bonds' at-bats in San Francisco. 
     Luckily, in the first inning, he hit No. 71 off Chan Ho Park. So, the Bonds special section was in play. More work for everyone. And while we started editing that copy, Bonds hit No. 72 -- again off Park -- in the third inning. More work.
     One memory: The deadline for pages to go to print was midnight. As I recall, we finished up closer to 1 a.m. We were a bit overloaded.
---
     I sat across from a veteran sports department guy named Don Bowman. Didn't take long to realize he was funny, outrageous, knew his sports, was an extreme University of Maryland/Oakland A's/Washington baseball fan, and was talented. We lost him far too soon, too, and too suddenly.
     As it happened, the desk where I was working was Jeff Wilson's. He was helping with auto-racing coverage that night. He would become a friend, and his talent has him now covering the Texas Rangers and TCU. And one of the S-T's top sports columnists was Gil LeBreton, an old friend from LSU and New Orleans.
     One guy not working that night came in with his kid in a stroller to see his wife (who also worked at the paper). I knew his face, couldn't remember his name. Asked, and -- aha! (Andy Clay) -- I had worked with him in Jacksonville, Florida, about a decade earlier.
      And one funny moment: One of the sports copy editors came up to introduce himself: Jerry Barnes. "Nice to meet you," I said. "Oh, we've met before," Jerry said, smiling. "I was sitting next to you at the [Centenary College] Gold Dome the night you threw the basketball at an official (who was a friend of his)."
      Oops. Yes, in 1979, Barnes was an assistant sports information director at University of North Texas; I was the SID at Centenary. UNT's players that night were beating the hell out of our 6-11 center, Cherokee Rhone. I didn't like it. When the ball came bouncing over the media table right to me, I (not) gently directed back at an official with a (not) soft remark. I was excused from the table. (I have written a blog on that.)
    "Please don't tell anybody," I asked Barnes that night. I think he's tattled on me a few times since. We're still laughing about it.
---
    So, I ended up working some 14 to 16 stories that night ... and made an impression.
    Michele Machado, one of our page designers, laughingly recalled that when the shift was finished, she told people in the department, "That guy will never be back."
    But I knew that I wanted to work at the Star-Telegram, and told Bea that when I got back to Knoxville.
     When the shift ended, I drove to Carrollton where our son Jason was living (he had graduated from LSU and found a job in Dallas -- with travel to Tarrant County -- a few years earlier). Got up the next morning and drove to Shreveport, picked up Dad and we went to the San Jose State-at-Louisiana Tech football game that night, a one-sided Tech victory.
     Meanwhile, OU beat Texas 14-3 at the Cotton Bowl, with the memorable "Superman" tackle by OU safety Roy Williams that resulted in linebacker Teddy Lehman's 2-yard pass interception return near the end of the game clinching the victory for the Sooners.
    In a few days, Celeste called and offered me a position as a "contract" worker, not fulltime. But the pay was good, and we quickly decided to make the move from Knoxville to Fort Worth. 
     That meant leaving our Rachel behind in Knoxville, where she was a junior at the University of Tennessee. It meant being closer to the Van Thyns in Shreveport and even closer to Jason.
      No insurance coverage came with the job, but Celeste promised that the first copy-editor opening she had would be mine. Two weeks later, a copy editor left and I went fulltime, with insurance benefits. Good thing because only a few months later Bea was diagnosed with colon cancer. That insurance was a saver.
      What followed was Bea surviving two surgeries in four years, and a beautiful life still. For me, a decade at the Star-Telegram and a fulfilling end to a career. 
      Lots of good luck involved, and a first night at the S-T to remember.     

33 comments:

  1. Good story . Star Telegram has a great history and legendary writers. You were with the best. Good way to wrap up a career.

    ReplyDelete
  2. From Skip Peel: Homer [Peel] always liked the city and the fans. Back in the day Flem Hall was the main sportswriter on the Star-Telegram. He and Homer were friends and hunting buddies. Flem wrote a book on Fort Worth sports stars that included Homer. I just yesterday sent the book to Andy Taft at Downtown Fort Worth Inc. I got to know Andy when he held the same position here in Shreveport. I hope that he will find a good home for the book.

    ReplyDelete
  3. From Mike Richey: That was a fun read. I’d never heard you talk about your tryout. Got a good laugh out of the Centenary basketball game segment. ... My first night in Denver was nothing like yours.

    ReplyDelete
  4. From Robert Steckel: Great story. Yours has been a helluva newspaper odyssey. The Byrd man -- Jerry Byrd Sr. -- would applaud.

    ReplyDelete
  5. From Robbie Albright: Wow, what a great read! Very exciting night, and I could relate to most all of the stories you were covering that night. I know you were tired at the end of the shift, but I'll bet it was what I call a "good tired!" A great start to a successful career-ending gig.

    ReplyDelete
  6. From Tom Johanningmeier (assistant sports editor): I remember that night like it was yesterday. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  7. From Greg Morrison: Good stuff old friend. You have always had a way of sucking me in. I bet that job was a blast most days. Action !

    ReplyDelete
  8. From Randall Perry (S-T sports department): That was actually enjoyable to read. Believe it or not, I still miss those days. Part of me would like to do it again.

    ReplyDelete
  9. From Gary West (Shreveport Journal and S-T sports department): Great memories of a time when sports journalism and newspapers mattered.

    ReplyDelete
  10. From John Watkins: This was a great read. It reminds me of my "audition" with the Austin American-Statesman when I was about to start law school. I needed a job and thought working nights on the sports desk would be a good fit with my classes.
    My tryout was on a Saturday night, and while it was not anywhere close to what you experienced, I soon realized that the job was far more demanding than working on the UT student newspaper a few years earlier. All I needed was more stress to go along with the first year of law school, so I told the A-S I couldn't take the job.
    Fortunately, I wound up as a teaching assistant in the journalism department. That job paid for law school -- tuition was much lower then -- and I graduated without any debt.

    ReplyDelete
  11. From Ken Kessler: Enjoyed reading about your journey to Fort Worth and the Star-Telegram. Your tenacity for success is still evident here at Trinity Terrace.

    ReplyDelete
  12. From Joe Ferguson: You're right -- long read. I enjoyed it. That had to be a long night. Lot of big stories all together like that. Takes the best to do the best. Thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  13. From Al Miller: Truly a fantastic story of how your life happened and played out. Truly is more than I sometimes can comprehend but thank the Good Lord above for the life and experiences. You certainly made the most of it by loving your work and being really good at what you did. Story well told.

    ReplyDelete
  14. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  15. From Bob Kowalski (S-T sports department): You captured it perfectly. It's hard to believe what happened every night in that newsroom if you hadn't seen it with your own eyes.

    ReplyDelete
  16. From John Henry (S-T sports department): Oh, man. Thinking of those nights makes my hemorrhoids flare up. Good times. 🤣

    ReplyDelete
  17. From Bob Tompkins: Loved reading this! Had kind of forgotten how huge the sports staff was at the S-T. Amazing! What a first night you had there!

    ReplyDelete
  18. From Jim Reeves (S-T sports columnist): Friday nights in the sports department...wish I could live it all over again.

    ReplyDelete
  19. From Lois Norder (S-T managing editor/Northeast zone editor/Shreveport Journal reporter): Stunning recall of this all. You were a great fit for the S-T. It was no insurance-office like atmosphere. The newsroom was wild and wildly talented.

    ReplyDelete
  20. From Dan Dunn (S-T sports copy chief): Memories make us rich. Crazy as it sounds, I miss those nights on the sports desk. Thank you for this trip down memory lane.

    ReplyDelete
  21. From Dusty Schwab (S-T agate expert): Those Friday nights were crazy, and so much fun. I wouldn’t trade them for anything. Met some great people at the S-T.

    ReplyDelete
  22. From Dell Wood: What a great story! My dad [Dr. Lamar Smith, at Trinity Terrace] and I are glad that you and Bea moved to Fort Worth!

    ReplyDelete
  23. From Elizabeth Richardson: When we old people look back, we can usually find instances of where one conversation, one meal, one introduction, etc, was enough to turn our lives in a different direction.

    ReplyDelete
  24. From Jack Brown: Ahhhh – the good ol’ days – (even the struggles; “earning” was accomplishing/achieving) –
    Your memory is better than mine, but it’s fun to remember, huh.

    ReplyDelete
  25. Anne Schaub: Fantastic work and fun to read.

    ReplyDelete
  26. From Line Wilson: Really enjoyed this read. Coming from Norway with such high newspaper readership, I have always been a news-junkie. And I like nothing more than an entertaining, well-written piece of journalism, being that my degree is in Journalism from THE University of Texas.

    ReplyDelete

  27. From Rod Stepp: Great article. Pretty busy first day. I enjoyed the article.

    ReplyDelete
  28. From Marge Brownlee: I thoroughly enjoyed this journalistic memoir!
    I remember well the old days of a newspaper reporter's work --- way back when there were two issues of the Fort Worth Star-Telegram -- AM & PM -- delivered every weekday, plus ambitious competition from The Fort Worth Press. Back in my husband's (Jerry L Brownlee) "city manager career days," Jack Butler was one of our best friends. At some community function dinner (one of those which we attended several nights each week ), I was sitting next to Jack Butler, editor of the FWST. I made some casual remark about journalism and then realized that Jack did NOT think it was "appropriate. I was pretty new to "public life," had no experience with newspaper ethics, and I learned right that minute that for Jack, a professional to the core and one of the best men I've ever been privileged to know, took journalism and its responsibilities very seriously. I truly respect that.
    Jerry was a BIG sports fan; he would have loved reading your story. Both our sons played high school basketball (one was Basketball MVP of the Southwest Conference). [John Brownlee, U. of Texas, 1986]
    To say that I miss those days of journalism and the FWST is very much an understatement.

    To say that I miss those days of journalism and the FWST is very much an understatement.

    ReplyDelete
  29. From Bill Gordon: It is really sad to see the Star Telegram today. When I was at the City there was a morning and afternoon paper, with several City Hall writers for each. Now City Hall coverage is part time.

    ReplyDelete
  30. From Tahita Fulkerson: Wow. great story, fun to read. Hope it makes it to the Star-Telegram's files. Your perspective will always make great reading about historic sports events.

    ReplyDelete
  31. From Ross Montelbano: Glad you posted the "Long Read." Knowing little of what it was like to work in a sports department, I didn't realize how hectic it was. I guess I thought you guys sat around with your feet propped up, bouncing ideas off each other, while eating dinner out of a box. ... Hats off to you and your devotion to your craft. Always good to see you and read your stories.

    ReplyDelete
  32. From Cynthia Aillet Murry: And it WAS a long read! I enjoyed being able to follow you through all of this. You went through a long time of getting to where you wanted to be. And there were friends, old and new, who helped with it all. Thank you for including me in your travels! Loved it.

    ReplyDelete
  33. From Chuck Baker: I really enjoyed reading that. Very interesting to those of us who know nothing about sports journalism. Similar to what Michael Kim is doing on Twitter with day in the life stories of his PGA Tour experience. Seeing what’s behind the curtain is fascinating.

    ReplyDelete