Friday, December 31, 2021

Every day is a day for gratitude (and journaling)

      Gratitude (definition): The quality of being thankful; readiness to show appreciation for and to return kindness. 

     This is about gratitude, and how it is part of our everyday life.
A decade of gratitude journals
     Tonight I will make the final entry into my
2021 gratitude journal. It will conclude the 10th consecutive year of daily gratitudes; the photo shows the books (and does not include the two years in which I kept the entries on separate sheets, which later were converted into a digital file. Wish I could locate those ... but I will.)
     Wrote about this in detail almost four years ago ... https://nvanthyn.blogspot.com/2018/02/scanning-gratitudes-and-memories.html
     The idea, as stated then, is to find something positive in every day, no matter what's happened. 
     The last two years -- the COVID years -- have tested that objective. But, dang it, we can do it. Even on January 6, 2021 -- a day that will die in infamy -- the positive was that democracy works (shaky as it is).
     Anyway, we are grateful for another year. Older we get, the more grateful we are. There are more health issues -- general soreness, for one -- and we have to make some changes to protect that health. But here we are. (And we are not volunteering to try the COVID experience.)
     Personally, 2021 was much better than my heart-stopping few months of 2020. Don't know that my longtime roommate would say that about her personal health, but she's determined to hang around.
     We are so grateful for our friendships -- the ones that are decades-long, and the newer ones we've gained the past few years (mainly at Trinity Terrace), but also from other places.
     It is a bit hurtful, and disappointing, that with many old (and new) friends, we don't agree on politics and social issues. Frankly, we have had to split with some people or reduce time talking (or writing) with them. They are entitled to their opinions; we all are. Sharing those opinions often does not go well.
     There doesn't seem to be much chance for compromise, and that's too bad. I think you know the disagreements, for the most part, center on one person. And that's all I'm going to say about that.
     But I am grateful to live in a place where people can express those opinions openly if they want to do so.
     To me, civility is a crucial part of life. I don't always get there, and I'm sorry about that. But there are times to stick up for what you believe in. Time and place is important.
     That said, civility was greatly missing on January 6. Period. Before and after all that mess.
      Back to gratitude. We are beyond grateful, if that's possible, for the kids and grandkids, the most special part of our lives. Nothing is greater in our lives than family.
      Just to touch on athletics for a moment: It was nice to see games and matches played before live, in-person crowds for most of this year (the Summer Olympics were an exception, and the empty stands took a lot away from the excitement).
      Don't know how wise it is late in this year to have full houses of spectators, and it is distressing in the last month to see so many players "in safety protocol" or on inactive (COVID) lists, and so many games cancelled or postponed.
       Could write a whole blog on this -- and I've said it before, and will continue to say it: (1) Athletics these days is far too much about m-o-n-e-y; college football and the NFL are prime examples; (2) watching all the athletes with their "look-at-me" celebration antics takes the fun out of it for me. I know it doesn't bother a lot of people (let's say, younger people). But I'd just as soon turn off the TV as watch that crap.
        And as much as I love baseball -- always have since I was 8 -- I don't like much of the trends in today's game. But -- money rules -- with the current lockout in the major leagues, we likely won't have to worry about any games until, say, mid-summer. 
        Don't like saying "who cares?" about baseball, though. I have been rooting for my favorite team since 1956, and I will always care.
---
         A final word on gratitude. Recently read Michael J. Fox's book The Future is Now, and the part I like best was his writing about his father-in-law, Stephen Pollan. He was "by profession, an attorney, financial advisor, and life coach" and  had a plaque on his desk that read, "Professional Fear Remover."
     In dealing with Stephen's death, Michael writes, "In our family vigil, there was love for him and for each other, and a sincere aura of acceptance, which was a big part of Stephen's philosophy. The prevailing mood and spirit around Stephen -- gratitude -- was the very essence of the man. That's what he inspired in all of us. Always thankful for everything in his life, his gratitude was manifest in how much he loved his wife and family, and how appreciate he was for all of his experiences, positive and negative. A true optimist, he was known for his trademark assurance, 'Just wait, kiddo, it gets better.' 
      "The core lesson Stephen left with me was this: With gratitude, optimism becomes sustainable."  
      Love that last sentence. 
      Michael goes on to write this:
      "... As for the future, I haven't been there yet. I only know that I have one. Until I don't. The last thing we run out of is the future.
     "Really, it comes down to gratitude. I am grateful for all of it -- every bad break, every wrong turn, and the unexpected losses -- because they're real. It puts into sharp relief the joy, the accomplishments, the overwhelming love of my family. I can be both a realist and an optimist."
      From this realist and optimist, and from our place at Trinity Terrace, we wish you a great 2022. With gratitude. 

26 comments:

  1. From Sydney Boone: Thank you for sharing. Happy New Year to you and yours. Continue to be grateful and true.

    ReplyDelete
  2. From Frank Bright: I’m grateful that you eloquently fill my life with some good memories. Thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  3. From Linda Ponder: Happy New Year's Eve to you and Bea.
    This is a wonderful post. I agree with the notion of gratitude. I still give thanks daily for Len's presence in my life. So ... I don't have to look for one good thing each day -- he's already here. I find that kindness, joy, and gratitude make life oh so much better than the alternatives. Big hugs and much love from our house to yours.

    ReplyDelete
  4. From Leonard Ponder: (A lengthy medical report ...) relates to your blog post about gratitude. Your blog was a timely piece (at least for Linda and me) in that it reminded us that we are blessed far more than we could ever deserve. We humans are good at whining and complaining, but sometimes not so good at giving thanks. I would like to list all of our blessings even in this difficult year, but that would take more space than this note allows and reading it would take more endurance than I would expect from anyone. At or near the top of that list, is my gratitude for your friendship and the many memories and concerns we have shared over the years.
    Thank you for sharing all the news (good and bad) and your thoughts during the past many weeks. I will offer some of my thoughts in another note. For now please accept Linda's and my best wishes that you and Bea have a happy and blessed New Year.

    ReplyDelete
  5. From Joel Bierig: Beautifully stated; amen to everything you said.
    At 95, my mother is happy and comfortable in an assisted living/memory care facility in Austin, Texas, but her cognition is greatly diminished. She has no idea what’s going on in the world, and that’s probably fortunate, as it likely would remind her of her childhood in Germany.
    She always told us the same thing could happen here, but though we nodded, we never totally believed it.
    Until now.
    Like you, we feel gratitude, but the better days we long for as a country seem far away.

    ReplyDelete
  6. From Stan Tiner: Ineffable optimism. It’s your superpower.

    ReplyDelete
  7. From Tom Gibson: As much as I enjoy your many sports/Woodlawn/Shreveport updates, I think you’re at your best when you share these personal observations on topics like gratitude.
    Thanks for all of your sharing and best wishes for a healthy & peaceful new year to you & your tribe.

    ReplyDelete
  8. From Jack Thigpen: Love the idea of writing down everyday what we are thankful for. We dwell on the negative too much.

    ReplyDelete
  9. From Joe Reding: Excellent piece. Your thoughts often echo mine. I admit I am stuck in the past, but morals, attitudes,
    commitments, ethics, etc. seem to be stuck with me.

    ReplyDelete
  10. From Jeanie Bielicke: Thanks for your blog you sent today. It gave me a lot to think about today and tomorrow and the tomorrow after that.
    Thanks for reminding me to be grateful.

    ReplyDelete
  11. From Elizabeth Richardson: Yes, gratitude for being alive, for still being up on my feet some of the time, for a loving husband of 57 years, for a son who is nearby and treats us with love and respect, for friends, and so on and so forth.

    ReplyDelete
  12. From Mary Sue Coffman: Thank you. I am grateful for you and others who share their stories with us.

    ReplyDelete
  13. From Joyce Gerrick: Very good comments and hopefully for a better year in 2022.

    ReplyDelete
  14. From Tahita Fulkerson: You continue to inspire and impress me. I agree with the necessity of gratitude, and now that I have a bit more time, I intend to begin capturing my gratitude in writing every day. I know that things we write carry more impact than things we say. As a writer, you surely know that is true.
    Best to you and Bea. Have a great 2022.

    ReplyDelete
  15. From Allene Booth Judson: Brought tears to my eyes in places. I identified with so much (all but the sports:).
    Happy New Year to you and Bea.

    ReplyDelete
  16. From Paula Zeller: This is so beautifully said. I’m very grateful to have met you and your sister via email and social media. Wishing you and your family the very best in 2022.

    ReplyDelete
  17. From Nancy Evans: May next year be better for us all.

    ReplyDelete
  18. From Joe Huffman: Beautifully worded. With gratitude, Happy New Year.

    ReplyDelete
  19. From Sheryl Hawkins Nix: As always, I enjoyed reading your blog. So much truth.

    ReplyDelete
  20. From Dr. Craig Hartman: As we grow older, we know more clearly how grace-filled our lives have been. I am grateful for many things, but tonite I want you to know I’m grateful to have you as a friend. I hope 2022 will be the best year yet for you and all those whom you love.

    ReplyDelete
  21. From Pesky Hill: Loved your blog on gratitude. We are blessed and have much to be thankful. Happy New Year to you and Bea!

    ReplyDelete
  22. Thank you for being a Light in
    our lives. As I look around my place of employment, it reminds me of how grateful I am for my good health. Take care and stay healthy! Happy New Year my friend

    ReplyDelete
  23. From Dr. Betsy Alexander: This is a lovely post that captures all my feelings about the last year. Thank you for eloquently expressing them.

    ReplyDelete
  24. From Debbie Aulenbacher: I loved it. We all have a lot to be grateful for being here at TT with all the wonderful friends and services so close at hand. I am also very grateful for your friendship.

    ReplyDelete
  25. From Ross Montelbano: I have similar feelings. There is much that I am thankful for having in my life. However, there are many things that mean a lot to me and I feel it is irresponsible for me to just merrily go along with, "I'm happy, let others take care of themselves." There are so many similarities between Trump and Hitler. Find an enemy that you can blame for all the problems, attack those that disagree with as not being patriotic and promise a dream world if the masses will just follow along.
    To add to the issue, is that I know people that have been good, honest, hardworking people (and most Christians) all their lives, that support Trump. It literally baffles me as to how any Christian could support a guy that violates most everything that Jesus preached. It is compounded by the filth that comes out of some of their mouths and it is so un-Christian that I am shocked.
    I do appreciate that I have a great life and great family and friends, but with that comes a duty to do my part. I got to this point in my life because those that came before me did their part.

    ReplyDelete
  26. From Bob Basinger: Appreciated your article on being appreciative. Contentment is a good medicine for living life with joy.

    ReplyDelete