Friday, December 24, 2021

Don't take your cheap shots at the I-Bowl ... or Shreveport


     Another year, another cheap-shot bashing of the Independence Bowl ... and Shreveport.
     Before we examine this further, let's make this clear: We don't like it, at all.
     But it is part of the bowl scene, and it happens far too often. However, the latest "analysis" -- by a Brigham Young fan-boy who happens to write a blog -- was a low blow of epic proportions.
     And to see him referred to as a "reporter," that's just wrong, wrong, wrong. This is a JAG -- just a guy -- sitting in the stands, a BYU supporter who happens to reside not in Utah but in Arkansas.    
UAB's football players were happy with their
 Independence Bowl trip ... and victory. (WVTM photo)
     His "observations at the Independence Bowl," and I won't dignify them by giving you his name or even a link to his "effort," was simply sour grapes because his BYU team, despite its No. 13 national ranking, came to Shreveport and fell flat against a much more determined UAB team.
     The cheapest shots were at the "rundown" conditions this guy saw while he was in Shreveport. And, yes, we know they are there. (There are rundown areas, we will counter, in every city of any size. We live in a really nice city, a big city -- Fort Worth, Texas -- but we could take you to some areas you wouldn't like.)
     Yes, Shreveport's Fair Grounds Field -- just down the street on the Fairgrounds from Independence Stadium -- is an eyesore. That's no secret. But what's that got to do with football? 
     Boarded-up business places? Same thought as above. If you go places, they'll be there. What's that got to do with football?
     Enough of that crap. If you read the junk this guy wrote, you will find excuse after excuse for why BYU lost this game, including the Cougars' underwhelming performance. To say that no one has heard of UAB is ignorant; that university's football rise, a resurgence after a two-year hiatus, is a helluva good story.
     UAB's record since 2017: 43-20 record (most victories by a Conference USA team), twice conference champion, three-time West division champ, bowl-eligible all five years, two bowl victories ... and a victory over its highest nationally ranked opponent -- No. 13 BYU.
     We will concede that maybe the nation's No. 13-ranked team deserved a more prestigious bowl trip. But the fact -- fact! -- is that one of the three bowl options for BYU is with the Independence Bowl.
     If BYU didn't qualify for a New Year's Day Six bowl game, or if the Cheez-It Bowl in Arizona did not have an available spot for the Cougars, they were bound to play a Conference USA team in the Independence Bowl. And that's what happened.
     So much for the whining.
     And talk about hypocrisy: Two weeks earlier, our BYU blowhard's blog was titled "Why the Independence Bowl is fine." 
     Here is what it concluded: "... The Independence Bowl has some prestige to it. The bowl game has been around since 1976 and has some prestige to it. The Bowl Game has been around 1976 and has it's own stadium. No colleges play in the Independence Stadium on a regular basis and it seats 50,000 people.
     "Compare that to other bowl games like the Bahamas Bowl, Camellia Bowl or the Quick Lane Bowl and thinks don't sound so bleak. The actual bowl game is a good bowl and has plenty of history."
     (Editing 101: You don't capitalize Bowl Game, and "it's" should be "its." Just pointing that this is no professional writer, or reporter, doing this.)
---
     We have seen criticism of the I-Bowl for decades, really. Our friend Paul Finebaum -- once a Shreveport Journal sportswriter -- has done his share. He's still our friend.
     This BYU blog brought to mind the aftermath of the 1983 game (Air Force vs. Ole Miss) and a professional cheap-shot column by then-Denver Post sports columnist Woodrow Paige Jr.     
      It was -- like this year's I-Bowl -- a miserable weather day. That's happened a lot over the years, unfortunately; the ultimate was the 2000 "Snow Bowl" (Texas A&M vs. Mississippi State). A rare Shreveport snowstorm left the field in a white blanket, with TV coverage hard to make out, and it's still being talked about. (Terrific game, though; Mississippi State won 43-41 in overtime.) 
     Back to 1983: Paige, who was at the Denver Post for 35 years and, at age 75, is still a columnist in Colorado and a regular ESPN "mouth," took Shreveport and the I-Bowl apart in a scathing column. Bush league.
     We at the then-afternoon Shreveport Journal were impressed -- depressed? -- by the column that, at editor Stanley Tiner's direction, ran above the masthead on Page One on the Tuesday after Paige's column in the Sunday Denver paper.
     And we also began a week's worth of Journal readers being invited to offer their response/comments to Mr. Paige, with the assurance they we would be forwarding them to him. (As if Woodrow cared.)
     It really was kind of fun, and it certainly helped fill our pages for a week, and maybe even helped us sell some papers. 
     Personally, I wrote a story centering on the two competing teams' athletic directors' views of the I-Bowl, and that included much praise and some constructive criticism from them.
     We left in Shreveport in 1988, but we are interested in what happens there because it is -- always will be -- my home city (so is Amsterdam), and (repeating) we don't like criticism from the outside or inside. 
     To be honest, it is disappointing to see how much criticism from Shreveport-Bossier people I saw on Facebook this week. We know the place has issues (too much crime/too many homicides, questions on leadership, declining neighborhoods, a shrinking newspaper, etc.).
     What is not being considered is that, almost without exception, is that the teams that have been Independence Bowl participants -- the school officials, coaches and players -- have praised how well they are treated during bowl week in Shreveport. That was the case again with UAB ... and BYU.
     Bowl director Missy Parker Setters and her staff and the I-Bowl committee every year during their very best to put on the best show they can. The community has provided financial support, even in tough times, and certainly ticket sales are affected by marginal weather. But the Independence Bowl has persevered all these years ... 46 years.
     Wrote about this on this blog nine years ago. Here is the link to that one, and we still feel the same way. Read it, change the year to 2021, and it'll work.  
     https://nvanthyn.blogspot.com/2012/11/the-spirit-of-independence.html
      Don't let the BS -- stories, comments, a wayward blog by a non-reporter -- get in the way of what the Independence Bowl has achieved. It remains a point of pride for Shreveport-Bossier.  

15 comments:

  1. Hear. Here. Thank you for saying something that should be said.

    ReplyDelete
  2. From Larry Powell ("atrophied sportswriter): Well, you writer you, I read that defense of Shreveport (dear to my heart) and the Independence Bowl (nearly always interesting) ... kind of got teary-eyed thinking about how Shreveport deserves respect and a Texas League baseball time (if there still is a Texas League this year or next ...) and ... well, you know the challenges...
    Also, I appreciated the way you kicked that guy around for his "bad editing"/bad writing. It's a sign of the unstoppable decline of civilization... (I sound like an old guy...)
    Anyway, thanks for writing that cheap-shots-at-i-bowl column.
    If Shreveport hadn't been the center of bigtime sports in the '60s, I'd never have interviewed Joe Louis, watched Ralph Garr play ball and seen all those great high school and college quarterbacks work their magic... The town has a heritage that needs to be preserved and enhanced -- heck I still remember Mayor Clyde Fant... Police Commissioner George D'Artois -- not so much for public service, of course. Wacky times.
    OK, I'll shut up now... But thanks for the writing on behalf of Shreveport and the I-Bowl.

    ReplyDelete
  3. From Tom Gibson: On a more positive Shreveport note, I direct your attention to a Louisiana Public Broadcasting documentary that I watched recently via YouTube: Unexpected Modernisms.
    You might know this story already: Unexpected Modernisms is an exploration of the work of Shreveport architects (and half-brothers) Samuel and William Wiener.
    While I was only vaguely familiar with their names, I certainly knew their work having attended school in (at least) two buildings they designed. I got a kick out seeing the designs and footage for Woodlawn High School and hearing it extolled as an example of modernist design. That was certainly not something I gave a lot of thought to when I was sitting in its classrooms.
    Having been in Shreveport two weeks ago, I am freshly reminded that none of us live in the world we were born in … and SPAR Stadium will have to live in our memories (even as Herby-Ks still stands). That’s just the way of time … or, at least, our understanding of it, although I am always prepared for my limited mind to fully wrap itself around Einstein and Godel’s concepts of time.
    Best wishes for the new year, and always appreciating your thoughts.

    ReplyDelete
  4. From Sid Huff: Great piece. While my hometown is certainly not the place it was when I left for Georgia on November 1, 1980, it remains my hometown. I am still angry that my high school (Fair Park), which my mother, two aunts and an uncle attended in the late 1930s and early 1940s is no longer (supposedly) a high school. I still can/do sing the alma mater and am proud to be an Indian. To borrow your phrase and modify it slightly, "Once an Indian, ALWAYS an Indian." (Another version of this that my Dad taught me, "Once a Marine, always a Marine..." 'nuff said.

    ReplyDelete
  5. From Ross Montelbano: I served as an Independence Bowl volunteer for over 10 years, in many areas from coordinating the Pep Rally to hosting the Big 12 director of football operations, Donnie Duncan, hosting the corporate title sponsor, scouting teams, and serving on the executive committee for 3 or 4 years. During those times, I had the pleasure of meeting a number of head coaches, including Nick Saban, Bob Stoops, Houston Nutt, Sylvester Croom, and others.
    While I loved having a great conversation with Coach Saban and found him to be extremely polite and forthright, Coach Stoops' comments to me strike to the heart of Woody Paige's 1983 article. When I met him, it was a few years past Oklahoma's Independence Bowl win (1999) and the national championship the following year.
    As I met him, I told him that I was an LSU fan, but that I'd always be a Bob Stoops fan. That was because after winning the national championship game, a reporter tossed him a soft pitch, down the middle and he could have hit it out of the park. He didn't. The reporter said something like, "Winning the championship in the Orange Bowl has got to feel better than playing in the Independence Bowl in Shreveport." Instead, his reply was, "The Independence Bowl took a chance on us after we had been down for a while. I'll never say bad anything about those people." When I shook his hand, I reminded him of his words. He gripped my hand tightly and said, "We've been to a lot of bowls and no one has treated us kinder than the Independence Bowl. They're as good as any of them. Don't ever let anyone give you any crap about the Independence Bowl."
    I had two immediate thoughts: (1) What a kind and thoughtful comment and who wouldn't run thru a brick wall for this guy; (2) Woody Paige can kiss ...

    ReplyDelete
  6. From Larry Roark: Thanks for standing up for OUR hometown.

    ReplyDelete
  7. From Bubba Kneipp: Thank you for this perspective. I agree with what he wrote but how did he see all these things arriving 2 hours before game time in severe weather? It was obvious that he didn’t just like he felt that BYU was entitled to the win that they didn’t earn.

    ReplyDelete
  8. From Darrell Rebouche: Thanks for posting this. I’ve been referencing this episode a lot over the last few days, for obvious reasons.

    ReplyDelete
  9. From Peggy McCarthy Heacock: Thanks. Our bowl is surviving. It was a great game. Snow Bowl was the MOST fun. As you know, a LOT of work by some extremely loyal Shreveporters goes into this day.

    ReplyDelete
  10. From Roy Lang III: Well done. I said the same things to people and they still ripped me. I don't get it. Appreciate you!

    ReplyDelete
  11. From Dr. John Watkins: I feel the same way when someone knocks Fort Worth.
    And when I think of the Independence Bowl, I think of some good football games.
    Just for games involving teams that I've had a particular interest in: I remember TCU playing back when Pat Sullivan was coach; the Frogs lost to a ranked team (1994, No. 18 Virginia, 20-10]; it was the first bowl they'd been to in forty-forevers, as my mother might have said. And when Houston Nutt was coaching the Razorbacks, they beat Missouri -- then in the Big 12 -- [2003, Arkansas, 27-14] and that was a big win for the Hogs.
    Somehow I missed the Snow Bowl, however.

    ReplyDelete
  12. From Pesky Hill: I was born in Shreveport and raised here from 1950 to 1968. After college at Panola and Northwestern State, my career took us to Natchitoches, Stillwater, Fort Worth and Jackson, Miss., before returning home in 1989. I know all the warts of Shreveport. But, it is home to me and my extended family. I get defensive when people take cheap shots at Shreveport and especially the Independence Bowl. We have done so much to be proud of the game and the city. The guy that wrote the blog has to be a negative person just looking for something. He’s like all these people that always post negative reviews on Trip Advisor on hotels and restaurants. Maybe we will be lucky and he will never be in our city again. Good riddance.

    ReplyDelete
  13. You know sportswriters are taking the lazy man’s way out when instead of concentrating on the actions of participants, either prospective or retrospective, the go looking for things in the venue to pick spart. This is hackery. If the perpetrator makes it a habit he defines himself as a hack.
    Edwin Pope of the Miami Herald once did this to New Orleans, even going so far as to knock one of its favorite dishes. Bob Roesler and the rest of the natives responded “Your mother…” The fact that NOLA repeatedly polled as a favorite Super Bowl site may have had something to do with Pope’s ill humor. I don’t watch ESPN anymore but when I did and saw Paige and his fellow mouths (and Kornheiser and Wilson on PTI) in action I put them down as blowhards trying to one-uo each other on pretty much every subject. I took a pass.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This response...yes sir. Nowadays, yo mama. Shreveport, we are all she's got. If we don't step up, no one else will. I still love her, but then, my love has never been jello, I always hold on too tight. It's one of my super powers.

      Delete
  14. Great article and thank you for sticking up for our home city. I love Shreveport from the bottom of my heart. There is a lot of beauty there,despite the eyesores. I live in Houston now and I would easily pick Shreveport or Houston in a beauty contest any day. I went to the Independence Bowl twice. Once as a kid in '93 and again in 2008. It's simply part of Shreveport culture and history. One of our staples. I have so many great memories from the Fairgrounds,watching the Captains and Sports play,going to George's Pond to watch the Mudbugs,and watching a few concerts at the Hirsch as well. I hope that the I-Bowl continues to host for years to come. Again, thanks for sharing, friend.

    ReplyDelete