Friday, July 5, 2019

The Netherlands vs. the U.S.A.: What in the World?

     So, who am I rooting for?
     This is not exactly how we intended it to be: The Netherlands as soccer World Cup champions, yes. But the intention was the Dutch men's team.
     Holland could rule the soccer world Sunday -- the Dutch women, that is. Who would have imagined that?
     One slight problem: The championship-game opponent -- in Lyon, France -- is the United States of America. Our women's team, the reigning World Cup champions going for two in a row.
     Dang it, what a dilemma in my mind.
     Love both countries, love both teams. 
     So, I am rooting for the winner and will feel for the loser. But both countries, both teams are winners for me. I will always root for both, never pull against either one.
     My No. 1 sports dream is for The Netherlands' men's team -- as I often have said and written -- to win the World Cup championship. That was my first sports love, starting in about 1952 when I was 5 years old ... in Amsterdam.
     Wrote about this in June 2014 as the men's World Cup was about to kick off (my history of Dutch sports fandom):http://nvanthyn.blogspot.com/2014/06/the-oranje-hup-holland-hup.html
         (Short version: The Netherlands men have come heartbreakingly close to winning the World Cup six times -- three championship-game losses (1974, 1978, 2010), twice in overtime, and three other outstanding teams that either made the semifinals or lost to the eventual champions. Painful losses, all.)
        Here it is five years later, and I am writing about women's soccer, and happy to do it.
The U.S. team has had fun celebrating
 its goals, and success.
      The American team has gotten lots of publicity, or notoriety, during this tournament as the prohibitive favorite. A fun team to watch, except for the players' over-the-top goal celebrations. 
     Those irritate many fans. I am among those who think they could have, should have, toned it down. But that's sports today -- the look-at-me, look-what-I-have done, showoff style. We can accept it, or we can let it irritate us and complain.
     Whatever ...
     (Not getting into controversy about the off-the-field back-and-forth with the Tweetmeister. That's showoff territory, too.)    
The Dutch women's team has been on quite a roll.
     Meanwhile, the Dutch women -- who are the reigning European champions -- have kind of sneaked through to the championship game. But that 12-game winning streak in major tournament play is impressive.

      Still, I expect the U.S. team fully expects to win Sunday's game and, to be honest, I expect that, too.
       But even before Holland had scored the winning goal (in extra time) Wednesday in the semifinal against Sweden, an old friend -- yes, Mike Richey, we're old -- asked who I would root for in the title game.
      I was/am Dutch, spent my first 8 1/2 years in Amsterdam, am reminded every day by pictures here in the apartment and any mention of Holland that Mom and Dad's families were Amsterdamers.
      Since 1956, we have lived in the United States; that's 63 years if you're counting. We have been U.S. citizens for 58 years. Proud of it. 
      But proud of Holland, too. It is a beautiful, very progressive country, innovative in so many ways. And one of the world's greatest soccer countries, despite its very small size.
      And I have said and written this often: The world's greatest fans. If it is speedskating -- Dutch skaters have dominated the world the past decade -- or cycling or, well, any sport -- the orange-clad fans are as over-the-top as the U.S. women's soccer team's celebrations.
      Yes, better than LSU fans or Yankees/Red Sox/Cubs fans; pick a team's fans, I'll take the Dutch fans.
      To answer Mike Richey's question of who I am rooting for, as I told him, I cannot choose. It is like choosing between rooting for LSU or Louisiana Tech. More personally, it is like choosing between my children or grandchildren. They are all No. 1.
        To be honest, I have watched little of this women's World Cup. I have monitored the scores on my phone or computer; recorded a few of the games and watched some afterward. Just have other things to do, to keep me busy. Less stress that way, too.
         But I am familiar with many of the U.S. team players and like watching them play. Cannot name one Dutch player right away, but our friend Kip Coons -- a co-worker in the Fort Worth Star-Telegram sports department a decade ago -- pointed out Wednesday that the Dutch head coach, Sarah Wiegman, spent a year playing as a midfielder with the North Carolina Tar Heels' dynasty program. Among her teammates on the 1989 NCAA championship team: superstar Mia Hamm, Kristine Lilly and Carla Overbeck -- all then or about to be Team USA stars.
     Looked up Wiegman's background: First Dutch woman to play 100 international games, extensive coaching career. Impressive. 
      Her team's efforts have been impressive, too. Proud, too, of how far women's athletics have come.
       Only wish Dad was still here to see this. He loved athletics -- as many of my readers know -- and he especially loved soccer, or voetbal as we knew it in The Netherlands. He introduced me to the game a darned long time ago.
       (And, just as an aside, Dad was born 100 years ago Saturday.)
       I will be thinking about him Sunday; Mom, too. They would have loved this.
       If you care, if you watch, enjoy the game. May the best team win. They are both winners to me. I will be alternating between Hup, Holland, Hup and U-S-A, U-S-A, U-S-A.  
       

8 comments:

  1. From Tom Gibson: Like you, I look forward to seeing this women’s World Cup championship match. I don’t have a personal favorite ... I just enjoy watching the game played at a top level.

    ReplyDelete
  2. From Pesky Hill: I wish the very best to both teams, too. I know you are proud of your native country and you should be. Not a big fan of any women’s sports so I am like you: May the best team win.

    ReplyDelete
  3. From David Henington: Yes it is! We are in Germany and the people here are wild about this game Sunday. Will be in Amsterdam (soon).

    ReplyDelete
  4. From Ross Montelbano: I want the USA to win. I don't want to see the Dutch lose. I hope the USA plays their best game of the tournament. Obviously, I'll take a sloppy USA win, but I'd like to see and extremely well-played game that we win because of our talent and team play.

    ReplyDelete
  5. From Tahita Fulkerson: Hooray for you--and thanks for including me! I will watch the game with a different perspective, thanks to your thoughtfulness.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Just shows how much women's soccer and soccer in general has become so popular in the USA. Only a few years ago you couldn't have paid me to watch a soccer game. Now I can't wait to watch this match. Good luck to both teams!

    ReplyDelete
  7. From Leo Van Thyn: As you might have guessed, I share your dilemma. Over the years I have always cheered for Nederland. Yes, I would love to see them win the World Cup, be it men or women. However, even though I spent the first eleven years of my life in Amsterdam, when Canada plays against Nederland I cheer for Canada. In the group stage when they played each other I cheered for Canada. I have lived here for the last 61+ years and have really enjoyed my life here. I am Canadian.
    As you know I have researched our Dutch heritage and am quite proud of the fact that I can trace our family back to the 16th century. However, as a Canadian, Canada comes first; Nederland comes second.
    Soccer is actually the only sport I learned how to play well. While living in Amsterdam I was invited to join a soccer academy. Parents couldn’t afford it. When we came to Toronto I played for York University. I have coached girls soccer so I can pretend to have some knowledge of the game. The U.S. has a very deep team. They have the ability to make significant changes on the fly. The other teams, either can’t or don’t. Perhaps, the only place where I think the U.S. is vulnerable is when you get the ball deep on them.
    I like attacking soccer. So, I feel the Dutch have to start their strongest three attackers and go for it right away. Don’t let the U.S. girls get settled and dictate the pace. Attack with the midfield going forward. I hope I am wrong, but I think the Dutch coach, like the Canadian and English coaches, will not do so. As such, it looks like the U.S. will win. That will not be a devastating result for this Dutch-Canadian.

    ReplyDelete
  8. From Greg Page: Me too brotha ... my mother’s family is Dutch ... you probably didn’t know that.

    ReplyDelete