Friday, July 19, 2019

A trip to the moon, then and now ...


     Where were you 50 years ago Saturday night -- July 20, 1969, the immortal moment when a man first walked on the moon.
     "That's one small step for man, one giant leap for mankind."
     Oh, Neil Armstrong you got it right. So did the United States of America. 
      It was a proud, and memorable, journey, a day and night to remember.
      In a sense, we all walked on the moon with Armstrong and Buzz Aldrin, didn't we? 
      And, how nervous were you?
      I have re-lived that adventure repeatedly the past week, still just fascinated by it. Recorded and watched about a dozen of the television shows recalling those great days in July 1969.
      Loved it then. Love it now. Still thrills me every time I hear the words -- after the descent of the lunar module to the moon's surface, and the touchdown -- "Houston, Tranquility Base here; the Eagle has landed." 
       It was nerve-wracking and sensational then. It remains, in my opinion, one of mankind's -- and America's -- most mind-boggling successes.
       How in the heck did we do that?
       It was the crowning glory of the 1960s Space Age, or the Space Race (U.S. vs. the Soviet Union). And those of us who grew up in the 1960s, when we were still schoolkids, can remember how many times we watched those rockets, with those men aboard, take off into space and beyond the grip of the Earth.
     Always exciting, always filled with danger and uncertainty. We watched with awe ... and we prayed.
     Concerning Apollo 11, we held our breaths at certain times: (1) The launch from the Cape; (2) the lunar descent and then the landing; (3) the small step; (4) maybe the scariest time of all, the takeoff from the moon ... what if that lunar module engine had not worked?; (5) the lunar module reuniting with the command module guided by Collins; and (6) the re-entry to Earth and the splashdown in the Pacific.
     It all went almost perfectly. What a blessing.
     It was a time when our country -- just as now -- was so divided in so many ways ... the Vietnam "war" (or conflict) with young Americans dying almost every day in a faraway place -- and the divisive debate, why we were there? Civil rights, being fought -- literally -- in the streets. A strange, paranoid, quarrelsome, media-bashing President who said he wasn't a crook until it became clear he was, whose enemies list exceeded the number of his blindly loyal followers. 
     But when it came to space, especially when it came to Apollo 11 -- Armstrong, Aldrin and Mike Collins, and all of NASA -- we all pulled together and rooted for the same team.
     Glory be.
---
     Apollo 11 took off from the Kennedy Space Center -- Cape Canaveral, Florida, to those of us who followed from the start -- on July 16, and it took three-plus days to get near the moon.
     Touchdown was at 3:18 p.m., Central time. As Armstrong and Aldrin sat on the moon surface, inside the lunar module, for some 6 1/2 hours, all of us sat with them.
     And ... then 9:56 p.m. Central, came the moment -- down the ramp, Armstrong's small step into history.
     Where were you? Bet you remember. It was one of those times you likely will not forget.
     I was in The Shreveport Times newsroom, just around the corner from the wire-machine room and the sports department. For about a half hour, work was not important.
     A small television set, maybe eight inches across, sat on managing editor Allan Lazarus' desk. Probably about 15 people crowded around to watch the black-and-white picture.
     We were in awe. As I recall, not much was being said.
     Laz, the man who always wore the green eyeshade, was in charge of the Page One operation, along with layout editor Danny Grant. Those guys knew what they were doing.
     I was in my first year, my second month, as a fulltime Times sportswriter, my first job. This was two months after college graduation and, after some five years as a high school/college kid working parttime in The Times sports department.
     Not sure what my tasks were that night shift, but I suspect -- looking at the pages from that day -- that I wrote a couple of stories on area baseball, one on American Legion junior ball (one of my regular coverage areas for about a decade).      But after about 9 p.m., I don't think I did any work for a couple of hours. I was in the newsroom watching that small TV.
     (Beatrice, then married to Jerry, recalls she was in Jacksonville, Florida, where he was stationed in the U.S. Navy, and they stayed up later -- Eastern time -- than normal. She, too, remembers being awed, proud and patriotic ... and scared ("the same things everyone else felt," she recalls).            Looking at The Times microfilm files from that Monday morning, I was dismayed at how disjointed and uninteresting our sports-page front page looked. Didn't even want to copy it for you to see.
     But I am proud to present a copy of the paper's Page One. Laz and Danny did a heckuva job designing it and writing the three-layer main headline. And I know that deep in my files here at our facility, a copy of that page sits in a file folder.  
      Watching the TV shows, I have seen a few seconds of that day's game at Yankee Stadium, the Washington Senators batting in the top of the eighth inning, tied 2-2 with the Yankees. The scene, at 4:18 p.m. Eastern time, flashes to the big old scoreboard in right-center field with the words "They're on the moon," the players turned to see that, and the crowd reacting with a standing ovation. 
     A great memory. A day and night, and a journey to always remember and cherish.
     In a sports-related memory of that year and that excellent adventure, I laugh at the thought of that era: A man will walk on the moon before the New York Mets ever win the World Series.
     That was true. But only by a few months. Because that October, in one of the most astounding, unbelievable  baseball developments in history, the previously always awful New York Mets did win the World Series.  
     By then, men had walked on the moon. Also unbelievable. Neil Armstrong, Buzz Aldrin and Mike Collins were America heroes -- for all time.           
       
                    

17 comments:

  1. Thanks Nico. What an awesome reflection of the way things were back then. When is the last time anyone saw a three-layer headline?

    ReplyDelete
  2. From William Gibson: I was in Vietnam on my second combat tour as a Marine infantry officer. It was noted, but I had other things on my mind, like staying alive. Glad that you were able to enjoy it in the newsroom.

    ReplyDelete
  3. From Carol Sue: I did think about where I was 50 years ago -- at TRW, secretary to a group of engineers working on developing the lunar module descent engine -- precursor to Apollo. We celebrated when pictures of the tiny engine showed up safely on moon. Saw footage of KERA about Kennedy wanting to beat Russia to the moon and it reminded me of Amon Carter trying to ace Dallas on everything. Must be what it takes to be a leader -- beat the other guy.

    ReplyDelete
  4. From Bob Tompkins: We had a big family gathering, including maternal grandparents, watching a small B&W TV.

    ReplyDelete
  5. From Bob Basinger: Good blog!!!
    We surely were proud ... and nervous.

    ReplyDelete
  6. From Don Matheson: I recall, it was about 2 a.m. and I was sitting in front of the TV with my wife and a 2- and 4-year-old. I had a recording device to record astonishing remarks for posterity. Everyone but myself went to sleep. They [the astronauts] landed safely and we all went back to bed.

    ReplyDelete
  7. From Michele Nimerick: Albuquerque, New Mexico. Watching it all in the wee hours! It’s almost as exciting to watch it as the first time!

    ReplyDelete
  8. From John Sturbin: On the night of the moon landing 50 years ago, I was a June graduate of Rome Catholic High School working the night shift at the McDonald's on Black River Boulevard in Rome, N.Y. I was a "window guy" after proving I was no good at making burgers in mass quantities. Anyway, I distinctly remember walking out to my car at the end of my shift and looking up at the moon (think it was full) ... as if I was going to see the astronauts moving around. That's how stupid I was in the summer of '69. Still stupid after all these years.

    ReplyDelete
  9. From Betsy Alexander: Great post. On July 20th, Jim and I had been married for exactly one month. He was a Navy 2nd Lieutenant and we had moved into a small unfurnished apartment in Norfolk, VA. We had little money and almost no furniture, including no TV or radio. I listened to the launch on the car radio, but when it came time for the landing, I insisted that we had to watch. So we spent that evening in a bar in Norfolk watching a small TV over the bar. Neither of us have forgotten the feelings of pride and amazement that we had for that achievement. We've been watching all the anniversary broadcasts from that week, too.

    ReplyDelete
  10. From Georgia Authement: With my mother and daddy (Susie and John Whitaker) visiting us in Knoxville. Susie, your teacher at Woodlawn, my mother! And she was crying as we waved in the dark outside to the astronauts thinking they just might see us! Great memories. Of course, my mother would be crying! That was my mother! Miss her!❤️❤️❤️ USA USA USA

    ReplyDelete
  11. From Sandi Tison Atkinson: We had watched the launch from our backyard here in Florida, just 8-10 miles from the launch site. I was holding my newborn daughter as we had just returned home from the hospital. Our two-year-old daughter was so used to seeing the launches that she just wanted to play ... no idea of the history being made. I worked at the Kennedy Space Center so it was almost like being a part of that historic flight.

    ReplyDelete
  12. From William Carmack: I remember hearing about the moon landing on July 20, 1969, along with thousands of other soldiers and Marines while sitting in a jungle near the Laotian border in Vietnam serving with the 101st Airborne Division 68/69. I had been in Vietnam six months and had already seen about 12 of my platoon killed. When someone told me a man landed on the moon a few days ago, my mind cared less and was concerned about the brigade of NVA said to be massing across the border in Laos that we would soon tangle with. Home for many of us in Vietnam appeared to be as far away as the MOON.

    ReplyDelete
  13. From Sonny Aldridge: Tropical paradise of Vietnam, didn't even know it happened at the time.

    ReplyDelete
  14. From Bill Thrash: July 20th, 1969, found me at Willis-Knighten North visiting my girlfriend who had been admitted that evening to have her tonsils removed the next day, as was the procedure back then. We watched the landing together from there.
    But there is a little twist to my story.
    Early the next morning, Spanky Baker and I were on a Delta flight to Washington D C. From DC as we're bussed to Quantico, Virginia, to begin Marine Corps Officer Training, Spanky and I -- because of their training methods of cutting off all outside contact -- did not learn of the astronauts' safe return for some two to 2 1/2 weeks.
    One day on the parade grounds, the two sgts. and the platoon lt. stopped everyone in their tracks. And in their usual compassionate manner, they wanted to know just what was going on. They gave a quick talk about how they had to be tougher on us than regular recruits because we would be leading Marines and needed to be better than our troops. Then they said the low-level grumbling had better stop or it would get tough. One of the braver guys then blurted out, "Sir, it's not the training, but we all want to know if our astronauts got home safely." A smile came to the lt.'s face and then he broke the rules of training to share that, yes, they had all returned safely. With that, we went back to our little bit of hell.( Something Spanky and I always were glad we experienced.)
    By the way, that girl I visited had been dating me, not exclusively, for the past three years starting as seniors at Woodlawn. Then the next two years we became exclusive and after we both graduated NSU, we got married. That was August 14th, 1971 (she had to go to summer school due to the quarter system at Tech). Next month we hit 48 years together.

    ReplyDelete
  15. From Pete Alfano Covering a baseball game at the old Yankee Stadium when play was interrupted to announce the Eagle had landed. Hard to focus on the game after that. I was filling in for our Yankees beat writer at Newsday that Sunday. A single guy living in Manhattan. Watched the boys walk on the moon in a bar on the east side that night.

    ReplyDelete
  16. From Ann Bloxom Smith: My old friend expresses memories always with a glow of sincere awe and appreciation. Thank you. I’m remembering that night, sitting a few feet from the console TV in my parents’ living room, my heart in my throat. So thankful.

    ReplyDelete
  17. From Moddy Herfel: Thank you for your interesting and very sincere comments and remembrances of the moon landing 50th anniversary. As I mentioned to you, I lived across the street from the Armstrongs and their 3-year-old son Mark was sitting on my husband’s lap as his dad Neil landed on the moon. We were keeping Mark since their home was surrounded by newsmen and Jan had asked my son David to bring him over to our house where he felt at home.

    ReplyDelete