Saturday, August 7, 2021

The most media-cooperative coach

        One interview with one of America's greatest college football coaches was a time to remember.

Coach Bowden (AP photo/Nati Harnik)
      We are all a bit heartbroken as Coach Bobby Bowden faces his final days.

      Few football coaches were as loved and respected as the friendly, upbeat man who directed Florida State University's rise to one of the nation's foremost powers for three decades.

     For the media, he was a dream. Can't think of a more cooperative football coach anywhere, anytime.

      Many, many media members had a lot more exposure to Coach Bowden than this one. But the one time I was sent to write about him was one of the great experiences in a long sportswriting career.

     Don't even remember the exact circumstances -- where or when, or even the year. It had to be the early 1990s. And it definitely was in Jacksonville, Florida, in the spring. Best I can recall it was at a hotel where Coach Bowden was going to speak at an FSU alumni/booster gathering.

      Don't even remember what the strong angle was. Don't have a copy of the story I wrote.

     Here is what I do remember: Coach Bowden was just great. I got a dose of how caring and personable he was.

     I'd never met him, never covered an FSU game or event. Certainly wasn't my regular assignment, and I'm not sure why I was even the one sent to do a story.

      So I made my way to the hotel, found the room where he was going to speak -- think that was scheduled for about two hours later -- and there he was in the lobby just outside.

    There were people all around him (most obviously FSU fans), asking for an autograph or a photo with him, or just there to shake his hand or exchange a few words. 

     I believe, with the help of an FSU athletic department aide who was there with him, I was able to get a moment to introduce myself and ask for a little time to do an interview.

     Of course, he was willing -- I was instantly his buddy -- but there was a catch.

      "I can give you 10 minutes or so," he said, "but can you wait a little while? I've got to do a few things before I can get to you."

     Sure, I told him. It was mid-morning; my deadline was not until mid-evening, so I had plenty of time to wait, and plenty of time to write the story.

     "Look," he said, "there are going to be people coming up that are going to want to speak to me. So just stay with me, stay closeby, and we'll get together."

       He moved a few steps away to do an interview with one of the Jacksonville TV stations. I stood a few feet away.

     And then between interviews, he indeed was asked to pose for photos with FSU fans, and stopped to sign autographs, and after about 10 minutes, he looked over at me and said again, "Stay with me, buddy. It'll be a few more minutes."

      No problem.

      Another interview. More photos. More handshakes. More autographs. It was a parade of fans.

      A few minutes later, Coach Bowden again walked past and said, "Don't give up, buddy. I'll be there in a few minutes."

      (I have seen similar scenes play out over the years, and many coaches who wouldn't have given a media person much attention. But Coach Bowden reminded me of one of the most cooperative from our area -- Grambling State legend Eddie Robinson. He always made as much time for media people as they needed. Coach Bowden, of course, was as legendary as Coach Robinson.)

      It took another short time, and another glance over and reminder, and then -- maybe 25 minutes after our initial exchange -- there Coach Bowden was. True to his word.

      "Let's go in this room over here," he said, and we moved away from the crowd to a side area where no one could interrupt.

    And then he was as open and expansive with his answers -- as folksy and charming -- as everyone experienced over all the years.

      He was as wonderful as fellow media people and his FSU fans told me he was.

      It was my one and only time around him. It was unforgettable, and much appreciated.  

  

12 comments:

  1. From Bob Tompkins: Good blog, Nico. Did a story on him after he spoke at an event at Louisiana College. Very friendly with homespun humor. Reminded me a bit of Charlie McClendon.

    ReplyDelete
  2. From Steve Nance: One time at Tiger Stadium after FSU beat LSU, and at the height of its success and his fame, he granted me a solo interview long after the game was over. I was from the LSU media and we’d never met, so I nervously asked for two minutes and he said “Hey bud, we don’t have to rush” and I spent 10 minutes with him. I couldn’t believe how accommodating and nice he was.

    ReplyDelete
  3. From Pesky Hill: Thanks for sharing. My experience with Coach Bowden was also great. He was very genuine ... just like Coach Robinson. Coach Robinson may have been more personable. Man, did he have a smile that would light up a room.

    ReplyDelete
  4. From Ed English: Similar experience ... except I had two encounters. In fact, that's what makes it memorable.
    I started at the Florida Times-Union in the summer of 1979, having left the Shreveport Journal in the capable hands of Paul Finebaum and Phil Rogers. I attended an event similar to the one you described ... one difference. I wasn't doing a story, or at least I don't remember doing a story. But I do remember talking to Bowden in a cocktail setting.
    When football season started, I was covering Georgia so I never saw him again. The next season, I covered Florida. In late October, the beat writer for Florida State (Andy Cohen) pitched an idea to me and sports editor David Lamm. FSU was scheduled to play Memphis State in Memphis, my hometown ... and Florida was playing a home game. Andy had some stuff to do locally so his suggestion was we swap beats for a week. When I went to Tallahassee to do my advance work, Bowden spotted me and called me by name ... this was 14 or 15 months after I'd met him for one time.
    Now the SID was aware Andy and I swapped so there's a good chance he had prepped Bobby that I was coming over. But I will confess to being blown away.
    I'm pretty confident the only people who didn't like Bobby Bowden were those who never met him. Truly a great gentleman.

    ReplyDelete
  5. From Glenn Pannell: We lived close enough to even hear the cheering crowds at Doak Campbell Stadium.

    ReplyDelete
  6. From Tim Brando: The FSU football legend and I became great friends. One of the great joys in my life.

    ReplyDelete
  7. From Jimmy Russell: I am reading your post and I have just turned on the TV (Sunday morning, August 8) and it was announced that the Coach had passed away. Almost came to LSU and it would have been good. When he resigned at West Virginia under pressure, he took the Florida State job when they were even considering dropping football. Nobody really wanted it. The rest is history.

    ReplyDelete
  8. From Bob Roehrs: I knew Coach Bowden at WVU when I was a faculty member. I agree with folksy and charming. I had several football players in my class and he would call sometimes to check on them grade-wise. He would take time to chat. I was an intramural football coach and he would give me a few tips on plays to run. The WVU fans were excited when he took over but as one told me he hoped he did well but not enough that he would leave for another job.

    ReplyDelete
  9. From Matthew Reagan: Thanks for sharing. I was fortunate to get to see him speak in person at a FCA event in South Carolina a few years ago and had the same impression you did -- he was very genuine and charming. He shook every hand and took time to speak to everyone there, staying way past when he was supposed to leave to give everyone a chance to speak to him. Just a great person. College football and the rest of the world lost a good one today.

    ReplyDelete
  10. From Carol Hendrix: Loved the story and I bet you can write many more and also some forgettable ones, too. Hope the good outnumber the bad.

    ReplyDelete
  11. From Warren Gould: Enjoyed your post about Coach Bowden and especially enjoyed the comments to your post. He sounds like a heckuva guy, not quite the same type multimillionaire who is head-coaching at major universities these days.

    ReplyDelete
  12. From Ross Montelbano: I heard him speak at the Shreveport Rotary Club years ago. He was his folksy self. He told of driving from West Virginia to Florida (could have been vice versa). He talked about how long and tiring the drive was and added that his wife drove. Then he added, "Now I had the steering wheel, but she drove."

    ReplyDelete