Thursday, December 31, 2020

What a year it's been ... (un)forgettable


      We are all more than happy to bid the year 2020 farewell. Go away. 
      It has been a year we'd all like to forget. But, loss of memory excepted -- and we hope that's not anyone's fate -- it will stick with us forever.
     Been here 73-plus years, and many years had moments we suffered, but overall nothing like this.
     C'mon, 2021 ... and a vaccine that will make the pandemic -- the COVID-19 horror -- a (sorry) thing of the past.
     So many families have been touched by this, many tragically. We've had our cases -- our son, our son-in-law -- and they weren't severe, but they were worrisome. (They are OK now.)
     Personally, there was that little heart problem in May. Well, not so little (a triple bypass). But I am fine now (I think). Thanks for asking, and thanks for caring.
     It left plenty of time for reflection, for gratitude (as written in my daily gratitude journal), for the blessings I and my family have had ... and plenty of time to read and research.
     Spent much of the year working on ON TRACK, the book pieced together on the updated history of high school outdoor track and field in Louisiana. 
     So, hours of looking back in newspaper files online and searching the Internet and Facebook for names and records, hours of typing in all the results from Jerry Byrd Sr.'s 2004 book being updated, researching for and then writing sketches on teams and individuals, and then -- trial-and-error, mostly error -- formatting pages (346 of them).
     It was, on and off, a two-year project, but the bulk of the work came from June to November. Still not done entirely; still making corrections and updating, and hoping that someone will publish the book (at an affordable cost). So far, no luck, other than a do-it-myself method.
     Sports history and records always have been a hobby, or maybe -- as my roommate of 44 years suggests often -- an obsession.
     (If one has obsessive-compulsive tendencies, and I might, it's not always a positive. Caused us and others trouble and pain, and I apologize -- again.)
     Had to laugh when a sportswriter friend, mentioning the book, referred to me as "a track enthusiast." Well, not exactly.
     I'm OK with the sport -- my Dad loved it -- and I covered it some, but I always preferred baseball, basketball, soccer and football (not necessarily in that order).
     Anyway, the Louisiana track and field high school records, results and history needed updating ... and so it's done. Hopefully, 2021 will mean my work needs updating. 
     I know the book won't have wide appeal or even have moderate sales (if and when it's printed), but getting it done was important to me.
---
     Speaking of sports ...
     It is amazing how much was achieved for much of 2020 despite the pandemic. There was a long pause beginning near the last portion of basketball season, then so darned many postponements/cancellations ... most of them necessary and the safe choices. 
     Dang, what a scheduling hassle this has been (and still is).
     But through much travail and many stops-and-starts, games were played, and championships decided.
LSU's national champions: If this had been the 
last game  of 2020, that would have been fine.
 
 
   One championship made my year: On January 13, LSU whipped Clemson to win the College Football Playoff championship and complete the perfect season. 
      It was the greatest LSU team ever, one of the greatest, period. Not much in my sports world tops that.
     (Confession: I did not watch that game live. Recorded it, watched it late at night, not knowing the result. In fact, I did not watch many of LSU's games last season live.)
     What I found early last football season (2019) was that watching games as they were happening -- for any of "my" teams -- was causing too much stress. I could feel the tenseness in my body.  
     (What I didn't know then was that my heart arteries were severly blocked. Somehow I survived -- even watching recorded version of the games and taking many too-long daily walks).
     Better now, but I still don't watch all that many sports events live. My roommate does not care to watch (or care about the results at all), or have it on TV live, when she's in the room. So if I watch, it is mid-to-late evening -- sometimes live but usually recorded and games are long finished.
     Keeping up with scores on the phone or computer as games are being played still is tense enough for me. 
     Hate watching my teams lose or even play badly or sloppily in victories. And not many of those teams did all that well in 2020; my baseball team, in fact, underachieved and -- oh, gosh -- choked much of the season. 
     Here is something else: I don't like the thought of being old-school or old-fashioned, not don't like idea of "it was a lot better in 'our day,' " but when it comes to sports these days, I am ... well, old school.
     I don't like many of today's trends in sports (this is a separate blog).  Way too much money involved, in every way. Games take far too long. Rules are altered regularly. Hence, I don't enjoy watching all that much.
     Still very interested, but it's not my life as it was when I was younger. And it's no longer my work (but I loved it).
      What made sports in 2020 so odd, most of all, were the "bubbles," and even more, no fans in the stands, or a limited amount of fans. Awful. (But ticket prices, when tickets are available ... out of sight.) 
---
     We all suffered too many losses, of people, in 2020. So much suffering, so much sadness.
     Reviewing the year, it is unbelievable how many nationally known and my personal connections, in some way, we lost. More than I can remember in any one calendar year. 
     Here at our facility, we lost 47 residents  (though only one that we know of from coronavirus complications). Especially cruel was the loss of an outgoing, funny, delightful, at times bawdy 86-year-old woman to Lou Gehrig's Disease, ALS. Oh, Carol. She didn't have to suffer too long, but it hurt us.
      We lost friends, pals and neighbors -- too many to name.
      Losses in the sports world were profound. Kobe Bryant (and his daughter) so early in the year, so tragically. Baseball was rocked by seven Hall of Famers lost -- Bob Gibson, Lou Brock, Tom Seaver, Al Kaline, "Little" Joe Morgan, Phil Niekro, Whitey Ford. And other greats, such as Dick Allen and Johnny Antonelli, Jimmy Wynn ("The Toy  Cannon") ... Joe Morgan's cohort with the early Houston Astros.
     So many Yankees connections: Don Larsen, Phil Linz, Lindy McDaniel, Horace Clarke, Damaso Garcia, Jay Johnstone, Jimmy Wynn, (general manager) Bob Watson, Hank Steinbrenner.
     And our old Shreveport Sports or Braves: Jay Hankins, Dan Pfister, Oscar Brown, Remy "Angel" Hermoso.
     On a personal level, sadness about two newspaper sports department buddies named Steve -- Oakey (leukemia) and Schroats (massive heart attack). They were my good friends who helped make me a better journalist and better person. Miss those guys, and always will.
---
   It was a horrible year for politics, for social issues. Think most people would agree, unless they were not paying attention. This great divide in our country -- maybe in the world -- isn't likely to subside; we are all so dug in to our beliefs.
     It is so difficult to see and hear -- on TV, on Facebook and Twitter -- the harsh and empty rhetoric, the name-calling, the blaming, the conspiracy theories, the excuses, the blind belief.
     Have to say that it has caused me to break with some people. I think about my late friend Dr./Coach James Farrar's logic about friends and acquaintances, and where that line is.
     Everyone is entitled to their opinions. What is unacceptable to me is when I am told what to think or how to act. I try not to reciprocate. You live your life and believe what you want; I will do the same. Don't cross my line; I'll try not to cross yours.
     (I did cross the line with one political post this year, and was told by a half dozen people they didn't want that ... at all. It was not repeated.)
     If you posted something online or to me directly that I found objectionable, it likely means we no longer are connected. That is kind of sad, but too bad.
     Among my goals are to be civil, not use foul language -- another reason not to watch sports events live -- and not be directly critical personally of people I respect. If you find any of my language foul in the blogs or online, let me know. 
     The biggest goals for 2021 are to be the best I can be, keep exercising (strength-training and yoga here or at the YMCA, daily walks, although I have to cut back because of the wear and tear on my legs and feet), and just be nice and helpful to people. Sports, politics and social issues will take care of themselves; I have no control over them (but I do have opinions). 
     Beatrice and I wish you a Happy New Year, but mostly we wish you a healthy new year. Stay safe. 



17 comments:

  1. Love the picture of you and Bea! I also love your blog posts. Wow, can you believe we're 73?? That's a lot to swallow but I'm just grateful that I'm still here even after having covid. Wishing you and your beautiful family all the best in 2021! Abrazos, Mary

    ReplyDelete
  2. From Sheri LaQuey: You are loved for all you are and all you generously do. Don't worry about the lines crossed -- keep all friends whatever -- we all make mistakes. So glad you've taken up yoga sport and ... you are good at it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. From Craig Hartman: You don't have to try too hard to be a nice person. That's just the way you are, genuinely nice, positive, good guy. Happy New Year to Bea and you.

    ReplyDelete
  4. From Frank "Spike" Bright: Enjoyed your wrapup of 2020 and I have enjoyed our interactions over this and many years. Thanks for the nice things you have written, particularly those about me😀. Best wishes for a safe and happy New Year.

    ReplyDelete
  5. From Ike Futch: One of your best blogs ever. Wishing you and Bea the best for a happy, healthy and prosperous New Year. Anxious for the baseball season to start, hopefully with packed stadiums and no masks. I'll be pulling for my favorite teams (Yanks and Astros) and honored to have been a part of their organizations.

    ReplyDelete
  6. From Elsa Van Thyn: Good blog. Happy New Year. Has been a challenging year, but still very blessed. No one in our family lacking food or shelter. As far as health, can control what we can, but having a positive attitude is essential.

    ReplyDelete
  7. From Jimmy Russell: Thanks for this and all the other blogs you write. Enjoy them and many bring back a lot of memories. You and Bea have a Happy New Year.

    ReplyDelete
  8. From Ben Sour: Thanks. Ya'll look great.
    Been meaning to mention one of the most interesting things I learned this year was the observation that Nick Saban scouted the referees. It had seemed to me that some players had learned how to play the referees, which probably has gone on for a long time. Heck, I've done it myself. But replays show it more clearly. Another reason I don't think replays make the game more interesting. I don't watch much of anything anymore ... too easy and faster to watch replays or highlights.

    ReplyDelete
  9. From Stephanie Sumner Brentlinger: Carol will be sorely missed. Looking forward to a better year (are you listening 2021?)!

    ReplyDelete
  10. From Sheryl Hawkins Nix: Great description of a not-so-great year.

    ReplyDelete
  11. From Bill Gibson: Thank you for such a touching account of this past year and your hopeful possibilities for the new year. Your reflections on opinions and political/social issues are wise counsel as we each seek to live in harmony with our fellow residents here and with our associates at other places.
    Here’s to a Happy and Healthy New Year.

    ReplyDelete
  12. From Susan Kneten: Thanks for the blog post. Today I am grateful for my life, for my precious Norval (42 years next week) and my safe place to live.
    I had no idea that 47 members of our community died this year. I knew a few of them but definitely not all.
    Stay safe.

    ReplyDelete
  13. From Kitty van der Woude: Thank you so much for your article. It is good to see a lot of true stuff repeated every now and then, especially by you. Have a healthy 2021!

    ReplyDelete
  14. From Annette Wells: I loved your summary of the year. I just want to say how much you have enriched our lives at Trinity Terrace. Thank you for your friendship and your positive "do for others" nature

    ReplyDelete
  15. Somehow, Nico, you capture and share so many of my own thoughts. I guess it's our "era" and those Northwest Louisiana (small town Minden and "big city" Shreveport) common experiences that connect us...not to mention our time at Tech together. I'm thankful for your commitment to keeping so much of it alive for me. Happy New Year, my friend.

    ReplyDelete
  16. From Ron Brocato: Excellent thoughts and wishes. In three months I will turn 80, and still working. I also record sports events so I can bypass the commercials. Politically, I’m an independent. But I don’t vote for liberals. I don’t use Facebook, Twitter or instagram and have gotten by real well without them. After 55 years in the business, I appreciate news people and care little for “journalists “ who have no clue what news is. Here’s hoping your new year is the best ever from one news war veteran to another.

    ReplyDelete
  17. From Jack Thigpen: Enjoy all your blogs. Growing up in Ruston and reading The Shreveport Times every day, I learned of all the athletes from that area. Reading the insights of them is very interesting. Hope to read many more in 2021. Happy New Year to you and your family.

    ReplyDelete