Friday, January 25, 2019

The battle with ice cream, cookies and pies

     There is a battle of the bulge raging here: me vs. desserts.
     At our seniors residence facility -- we have been here seven-plus months -- the buffet includes all the desserts you can eat, or ever would want to eat.
     Uh, I love ice cream, cheesecake, cookies, pies, cobblers, chocolate, whatever sweets ... but mostly ice cream. I have been told these things contain calories beyond measure.
     Don't love checking my weight on the scales these days.  Don't love knowing that my shirts and pants fit a little tighter.
     Now a member of the "Trinity Ten" -- that is, the 10 pounds people gain in their first year here. And still almost five months to go.
     What to do? Diet? Are you kidding? 
     Exercise? Yes. Doing at least two classes a day -- either water aerobics, yoga/stretching or strength training -- and some days that includes the six-blocks walk to and from the Downtown YMCA.
     Plus, a couple of lengthy walks a week, less than what was an everyday walk (and had been for some 20 years). 
     Honestly, my feet are beginning to bother me some. But I still feel pretty darned good overall.
     Don't feel good when I check the weight. Have I mentioned that?
     Eat smarter? Sure. Less bread (only wheat bread, not white), very little butter, less potatoes (they give us so many choices here), less pasta (aw, heck, love pasta), less pizza (love that, too).
     More advocados, sardines (yes, sardines), salmon. Fruits (and I love so many) aren't bad, if limited. Don't want term limits there, however.
     More salads would be/should be good, right? How boring.
Here is where the ice cream is available daily ...
     About the ice cream ... two big containers every day here, self-serve. Mint chocolate chip, coffee and butter pecan are my favorite flavors, but the vanilla here is so good.
     Chocolate, or a chocolate/vanilla mix, will do. (Nothing will ever beat the hopscotch we devoured a few decades ago. Ask my wife and my friend John about that.) 
     Here they do have flavors I don't care for, so on those days, I'm good (except vanilla is an every-day choice). So the temptation is there always.
     Do they really expect me to skip the ice cream and the desserts? Really?
     There is a somewhat lesser alternative: yogurt. That also is a choice here at mealtime, a slightly better choice. But still, the calories ...
     The yogurt, however, has to be ordered; it is not self-serve. So at least it has its limits.
     (Save my yogurt for the strawberry-banana mix that turns into smoothies in our blender. But even trying to cut back on those.)
... and here is where we are locked out (thank goodness)
     Well, one good thing happened. Soon after the new dining room, the serving staff began putting a lock on the ice-cream drawers -- after lunch, and again after dinner. So, overnight it is locked up, off-limits.
     Hmmmm. Before that lock arrived, guess the security people saw me going down there for a couple of midnight ice-cream runs. OK, it happened.
     But no more. So those extra calories are no longer an option.
     The personal goal here is to lose that Trinity Ten. It requires willpower, which -- honestly -- is in short supply. 
     It requires fighting temptation. Which means passing up those dessert areas, not even looking in ice cream's direction.
     Need to wrap up this blog because it is time to head for yoga at the Y. And when I get back, it will be time to eat.
     Oh-oh. 
     And then check my weight? Forget it. I don't want to count to ten.       
       
           

23 comments:

  1. Smaller portions is my answer. Eat what you like, but cut back on the size of the portions. You can learn to be satisfied with less in your stomach.

    ReplyDelete
  2. From Elsa Van Thyn: What about the summer you had a banana split almost every day? Back when you were so skinny.

    ReplyDelete
  3. From Nancy Evans: My friend in a home in Slidell has a soft-serve machine and I love it when I am down to see her. Good thing they dismantle it every night to clean and change it either to vanilla or chocolate ... no getting to it till mid-morning either!

    ReplyDelete
  4. From Tommy Youngblood: So you are getting old and fat? Welcome to the club, you old fart.

    ReplyDelete
  5. From Doug Bland: My plan for 2019 is nothing except fluids after 7 p.m. Ice cream limited to a Dixie Cup three times per week. No more half gallons. I have it easier than you since it's not chocolate mint.

    ReplyDelete
  6. From Mary Ann Key: Loved this blog. Read it while waiting for TT car. I’m definitely eligible for the Trinity Ten club.

    ReplyDelete
  7. From Carol Carmichael: Love your blog! You need to try some Kings Cake ice cream. It is awesome.

    ReplyDelete
  8. From Margaret Mollick: Thank you for sharing. Loved reading. ... I am 10 pounds-plus, too. Working on it -- salads, veggies, fruit, four crackers limit.

    ReplyDelete
  9. From Henry Adams: I understand. This time I've been here almost four years and it is a daily struggle to keep my weight under control. And then they opened the Blue Spire with "over-the-top" desserts.

    ReplyDelete
  10. From Connie Pannell: I'm fighting that battle right now, afraid to even weigh myself. One secret is to not even look at either side counter, just focus on the salads and buffet. Even the soup is suspect as it "provides calories with less nutrition or lasting satisfaction." Is there nothing sacred? ... Have been looking at the menu to see what is saf-ER to eat. It's a failing battle.

    ReplyDelete
  11. From Jim Lattimore: Great piece. I can identify with that.

    ReplyDelete
  12. From Kenneth Knight: We used to have a refrigerator magnet that said, “Overweight is often just desserts.”

    ReplyDelete
  13. From Allene Booth Judson: Yikes, this blog is our story, as well.

    ReplyDelete
  14. From Kitty van der Woude: Poor you! Living in paradise and having to cut down on the sweets.
    I know what it is like: The first time I was in the U.S., I gained over 25 pounds in three months.

    ReplyDelete
  15. From Carol Craig: Loved your cute article (blog) about sweets. Bill had the same problem, only he had me baking for him almost every day. He loved sweets and I loved to bake. My addiction. Still bake frequently, however, since the doc said no sugar, I have to give it all away. Grew up in a huge kitchen with a huge family. They used to joke that I could bake before I could walk.
    Bill finally resigned himself to the few extra pounds, figured the stress was more harmful to his health than the calories. I agree.

    ReplyDelete
  16. From Edith Martin: That was funny, but so true! However, I thought it was the Trinity twenty.

    ReplyDelete
  17. From Rachael Leventhal-Garnett: So happy to hear the food is good at your residence. I'm now hungry and will have to have some of the butter pecan ice cream that I've been avoiding in our freezer.

    ReplyDelete
  18. From Elizabeth Richardson: Yes, the "Trinity Ten." Been there, done that. When my clothes got too tight last summer, I decided that was IT. ... So now I try to limit carbs. If I fall off the wagon every so often, I just get back on again. So far I've lost about 12 pounds, hope to lose a few more. Good luck, and keep it up.

    ReplyDelete
  19. From Tahita Fulkerson: Aren't you ashamed for sending this? How did you know that I had just finished the final serving of my Christmas candy, washed down by a diet Dr. P, as I fortify myself for watching the Australian Open?
    OK, now confession: I am part of your club of the Trinity Terrace 10. My downfall is not the ice cream but the other desserts. I've gone from hot cobbler once a day to cheesecake once a day to (no thanks to the Bistro) great fries when I can manage it.
    Promise to self: lose those 10. I'll start walking again and playing tennis three times weekly as soon as we get a new prez at TCC. Until then, I'll try to build arm muscles by pushing away from table before dessert lures me. And also by reading inspirational blogs from you. Many thanks for sending it. It could probably become a goal for Wellness Committee if I weren't ashamed of the gain.

    ReplyDelete
  20. This is so funny, but it hits too close to home. I’m with Edith; mine is too close to Trinity Twenty. ��

    ReplyDelete
  21. From John W. Marshall III: I see I got a call in this ... yes, Hopscotch was the king.
    I know what you're going through (except I don't have free ice cream access). I can't seem to shed the 10 pounds or more excess I have.

    ReplyDelete
  22. From Loanne Chiu: Another battle: me and fried foods. We have fried shrimp, fish and chips, fried chicken, French fries, chicken fried steak, fried catfish. Do I love the crunch around the edges? They say that munching on crunchy foods is a good way to channel our aggression. So here I go ... crunch, crunch. My aggression is melting away. I feel it, I am turning quite mellow. Soon I will get promoted from Trinity Ten to Trinity Twenty; I am getting closer every day. Please join me, it’s more fun if we crunch together ... crunch, crunch.

    ReplyDelete