Monday, December 18, 2017

Getting the names right (well, not always)

     When I hear or see the phrase "mistakes were made," if it pertains to journalism, I think of two names: John David Crowe and Charles McDaniels. 
     Make note of them. There's a catch. Get to it in a moment. 
     When I read a story or a book -- especially in the sports realm -- and I see a name that is misspelled or a fact that is obviously wrong, it reminds me that accuracy counts ... a lot.
     Personally, there have been some big misses, some big -- pardon the language -- dumbass moments. Easy to remember.
     Pointed out in a previous blog how once upon a time, I mixed up the names of coaches at the same school (Taylor for Turner at one, Sardisco for Cicero at another). Hey, it happens. 
     I recently saw segments in a couple of books that pertained to two of Woodlawn High School's greatest athletes, Mr. Bradshaw and Mr. Parish, which prompted this blog piece. 
     Saw some fact errors -- plenty, in fact, especially on names in a book published on Terry this year (I had several written and phone exchanges with the writer). Bugs me. 
Drop headline and top of the game story from the
1953 Byrd-Springhill game which Bill McIntyre of
The Shreveport Times considered the best high
school football game he covered. But "Crowe"
is incorrect.
     But then ... let's go back to the top, to those names -- Crowe and McDaniels. 
     They are wrong; they are misspelled. 
     People from Springhill -- and most old North Louisiana football fans -- will recognize them instantly. They are two of the greatest running backs ever from the old Springhill High School, the Lumberjacks.
     (The school now is called  North Webster High -- a consolidation of kids from Springhill, and the disbanded Shongaloo, Sarepta and Cotton Valley high schools. They even changed school colors and team nicknames. What's worse, it's the Knights ... even though North Louisiana already had some Knights.)
      OK, back to Crow and McDaniel. Those are the correct spellings. 
      The late John David Crow, a legend -- who went on to Texas A&M (and the Heisman Trophy) and the NFL and a terrific coaching/administrative career.
      Charles McDaniel, the legendary "Quick Six" who went on to an outstanding four-year career at Louisiana Tech and was an NFL Draft pick. 
      Here is the catch (and I have known this for years, but because of my first newspaper allegiance, I am just now publishing this fact, admitting it): Throughout their years at Springhill High, The Shreveport Times sports department never spelled their last names correctly.
      It's true. 
      In 1952, when John David Crow as a junior led Springhill to its first state football championship, and again in his great 1953 senior season -- when he was among the nation's top college recruits -- he was always Crowe in The Times. 
 Class AAA All-State story, 1970: McDaniels is there.
      And in 1970, the first year many high schools and their football programs in North Louisiana were largely integrated, McDaniel emerged as a running back who was a threat to  break for a touchdown any time he touched the ball ... thus, a "quick six."
      But all season, he was McDaniels in The Times. You can look it up. I did because that's what I remembered and I wanted to verify it.
      I wrote a lot about him that season, including the state semifinals loss (to Hammond) at Springhill's stadium, located just a couple of first downs from the Arkansas/Louisiana state line.
      In fact, I'd like to take credit for the "Quick Six" nickname. However, that is a stretch.
      What happened was that in the Nov. 8 game story on Springhill's 27-0 victory against Jesuit-Shreveport at Captain Shreve Stadium (a rare Saturday night regular-season high school game), I wrote that future opponents should "beware of the Lumberjacks' "quick six" gang, halfbacks Charles McDaniels and James Harris. They can score on you, and it doesn't take long."
      So not Charles specifically.
      Apparently, the name caught on at Springhill High. Someone, some group -- maybe the cheerleaders -- liked it, and pinned on McDaniel alone. The next week, we heard there were "Quick Six" banners strung at the Lumberjacks' game.
      From then on, he was "Quick Six." He wore jersey No. 36 that season at Springhill, but at Louisiana Tech for four years, he -- appropriately -- wore No. 6.
     As a freshman, he broke the Tech  record for points in one season (104, 17 TDs and one PAT catch), broke it three years later, and scored 52 career TDs (some "quick sixes").
      A puzzling aspect of the misspelled names: In 1952, The Times' main prep sports writer was Bill McIntyre, who a decade later became sports editor/lead columnist and -- full disclosure -- was my first boss there. He was an excellent journalist and writer, but, well, he missed on John David Crow's name.
     In 1970, I was a guilty part on McDaniel(s). Did have company; the rest of the writers who covered Springhill that season also missed it.
     Even in the All-State stories, the names are spelled Crowe and McDaniels. In the late Jerry Byrd's book Football Country, where he lists All-State teams near the back, it's McDaniels in 1970. But he did have Crow in 1952 and 1953.
     Can't understand this: Apparently no one from Springhill ever called to correct matters, in 1952-53 or 1970.
     And, I'm thinking that the names were misspelled on the Springhill rosters that were provided to us, on preseason forms and in game programs. Plus, the coaches (Billy Baucum was head coach in 1952-53, Travis Farrar was in 1970) never said a word.
     How's that for an excuse?
     Anyway, when John David showed up at Texas A&M for the 1954 football season, he was Crow. When "Quick Six" came to Louisiana Tech in the fall of 1971, he was McDaniel. 
     So, on Crowe and McDaniels, mistakes were made. And, for every co-worker that I scolded, or yelled at, or hurled an object their way (plus some nice language), because they messed up a fact or a name (or a bunch of names), I apologize -- again.
     I was going to list the names and the newspapers, but I don't have enough space.
     There were mistakes/omissions, too, in the book Survivors: 62511, 70726 about my parents and my family, and I received corrections/clarifications that I posted on the book's Facebook page.
     Mistakes are made. Can't always hide from them.                    

14 comments:

  1. From Scooter Hobbs (longtime Lake Charles American Press sportswriter/columnist): That sure brings back some memories.I was a year younger than "Quick Six" at Springhill, but played (sparingly but with dogged mediocrity) on that team with him. Great guy. Thing is, even then I was a voracious newspaper reader and read The Times every morning before delivering the papers on my route in Springhill. I swear I don't remember his name being spelled wrong in The Times all year. It seems like it would have caused a stir in that small town. I do remember a Times story that said something like "teammates long ago shortened the name to just 'Six.' " My mother asked me what we called him and I remember telling her that "we call him Charles." I do remember that the Lumberjacks were one of the last NW Louisiana teams left in the playoffs that year and we enjoyed the sudden attention we got from the big-city newspaper.
    One mistake in the blog, however. The old high school building is no longer there. It was torn down a few years ago after they built the new school across the street where the junior high used to be (they're combined now, I think).
    As for the school's name change, don't get me started. Yes, I'm still bitter about it, more so for dropping the Lumberjacks mascot than the "SHS."
    Really enjoyed your blog, though. We've all been there on name mistakes. Just this year I had Darrell Phillips scoring an LSU touchdown instead of Darrell Williams (Darrell Phillips was a Tigers nose guard back in the 1980s). Strange, embarrassing things can happen between the brain and fingers en route to the keyboard, especially on deadline. With The Times and McDaniel, I suspect maybe it was wrong in the program. Wish I had one to check for you. Maybe one of my old classmates has one.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Corrected the part about the school building still being there (in Springhill). Deleted the reference.

      Delete
  2. From John James Marshall: Naturally, there's a mistake in your story about mistakes. The 1970 Jesuit-Springhill game you referenced wasn't at State Fair Stadium; it was at Captain Shreve Stadium.
    I remembered it well because no one tackled "Quick Six" all night. Still one of the best high school nicknames ever.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Corrected the stadium site; that was a brain fart on my part, relying on memory instead of carefully checking the game story. Note: John James Marshall's older brother Ben was a Jesuit defensive back in that game. In 1976, JJ was the quarterback of Jesuit's undefeated state championship team.

      Delete
  3. From Scooter Hobbs (again): If it makes you feel any better, I just checked in my SHS yearbook — which was called "The Lumberjack"; the student newspaper was called "The Axe" — from that season. In the yearbook, McDaniel is spelled correctly next to his senior portrait. But in the football section the many pictures of him all identify him as McDaniels. I guess our yearbook figured if it was good enough for The Times, it was good enough for us.

    ReplyDelete
  4. From Bob Tompkins: Mea culpa, mea culpa, too, on the name mistakes. Too many to mention, but one that comes to mind is calling former prep football coach Freddie Hallman by the wrong first name. You guessed it: "Curley." Freddie, fortunately, laughed it off.

    ReplyDelete
  5. From Bob Tompkins (again): Never knew he was referred to as John D. Crowe. I had to think for a minute before it hit me: oh, yeah, John David Crow! I didn’t get to know him until he coached at Northeast Louisiana, but quickly liked -- and respected -- him.

    ReplyDelete
  6. From Raleigh Whitehead: Try Riley or Rolly or Rawleigh or Rooly or Raylee.
    I onced worked away from home in 1966 and got labeled Lee. Go figure. Looking back on some good laughs.

    ReplyDelete
  7. From Ken Sins: As my sports editor told me early in my first job, “A guy has got one thing he can call his own, and that’s his name. Don’t f--- it up.”
    Words to live by for any journalist.
    And this comes from someone referred to often as Ken Sims.

    ReplyDelete
  8. From Elsa Van Thyn: How often has your name been spelled VanThyne?

    ReplyDelete
  9. From Ed English: Here’s my mea culpa:
    The first week that Seve Ballesteros chased the lead in a PGA tournament, his name appeared in the Shreveport Journal as “Steve” ... because who ever heard of someone named “Seve?”
    Yes, the AP wire had it right. I edited it to make it wrong.
    Mistakes were made.

    ReplyDelete
  10. From Kirby Ramsey: Fantastic article. Every article I ever published seemed to end up with spelling or grammatical errors, even after many proofs!!!

    ReplyDelete
  11. From Jerie Black: ... No one ever spells my name right. It's a particular pet peeve, especially when I get a letter for a fundraiser requesting a donation.

    ReplyDelete
  12. From Steve Blackwelder: Interesting blog. I’ve always been a stickler for spelling — especially where names are concerned. I’ve had my name misspelled and and mispronounced all my life, so I am very careful to get names right. By the way, my brother-in-law (David Nolte) was an all-state lineman at Ruston’s Cedar Creek in the mid-1970s and went on to play at NLU under John David Crow in the coach’s inaugural season. And speaking of “Quick Six,” I dubbed LA Tech’s Boston Scott with that name last year and sent him a copy of McDaniel’s record sheet to help encourage him a bit.

    ReplyDelete