Sunday, June 16, 2019

At 72, life is good

     This is the seventh edition of the birthday blog covering eight years, and that makes sense only because we skipped writing one last year.
     At that point, we were right in the middle of a major move; in fact, our one-year anniversary of living in this seniors retirement community will be two days from now.
     And we love it. No regrets.
     (Look, I know writing about myself and posting a screen shot of the first -- and only -- video I made is egocentric. Have written that disclaimer on some of these previous blog pieces. Please just excuse me.)
     So, as of today, that's 72 full years for me -- and these days, a mostly happy life. 
     This is also Father's Day, so I am hitting the daily double that way for the first time since 2013 (led the blog that year about this aspect). That day it had been 11 years since the birthday fell on Father's Day, and this is the seventh time since I became a father.
     Pretty cool.
     So is living where we live now. We have found many new friends and most of the people here are, well, seasoned, and accomplished, and still willing and wanting to put as much into their lives as they can.
     We have found the staff here excellent, willing to accommodate, and there are so many activities that we cannot possibly take part in all.
     My roommate of the past 42-plus years is in a couple of book clubs, does yoga and tai chi classes, is part of our facility's reading-to-first-graders contingent, and is a part of the White Elephant Store working group (a store that is of great benefit to employees here).
     My roles include yoga and strength-training classes, co-chairman of our in-house Country Store, occasional host of our Saturday Morning Coffee, recruiter -- so to speak -- of guest speakers (mostly those with Fort Worth Star-Telegram ties) for our weekly Thursday Social Hour, and generally trying to be helpful to people around the facilities.
     Not doing my lengthy walks as often as I did in past years; with the exercises here (and still at the Fort Worth Central YMCA, a six-block walk from here), my legs are not holding up as well.
     Not writing as much, either, although there were several lengthy pieces for our monthly in-house publication, the Terrace Talk (just like our old junior high newspaper), and the every Monday chapter of an online book, That's the Old Ballgame Shreveport. That was the result of about two years of research.
     Intended to publish a book from it, but an issue with photos -- copyright issues -- are a holdup, and while I have not given up completely on the idea, there are photos that need to be found and their origin needs to be identified.
     I enjoy writing -- more than I did for many, many years in newspapers -- but it never was the real reason I got into the business. It was merely an avenue, a way to stay close, to the sports world which always, from the time I was 4 or 5, my greatest love.

Here are our four "superstars" -- (from left), Kaden,
Eli,Josie, Jacob. This was Christmas time, 2018.
     Greatest loves now, of course, are family -- especially the kids and the four grandchildren. That's our world.
     Still as interested as ever in athletics, but do not watch games as diligently as for many years and realize -- as I have written -- how much hypocrisy and, well, crap there is in the world of athletics. 
      That's my cynical side, which was always there to some extent. But for many, many years, it coupled with a fascination and admiration of sports people and teams. That side, too, is still there, but not to the same level.
     And while I still care very much about how "my" teams fare, I refuse to dwell on it -- win or lose -- for very long these days. 
     For a real cynical side, let's go to politics. And that's all I want to say about that. Take it elsewhere. Just not going public with my views; arguing about it solves nothing.
     I will speak out -- and post on Facebook and e-mail -- on  Holocaust history and on the rise of anti-Semitism, the neo-Nazis, white supremacists, facists, whatever you call those fools. Have done presentations here at our facility and to a church Sunday School class, and have a couple more lined up. Yes, it's personal.
     The past year we have really enjoyed making many new friends, and happily resumed friendships with some folks from the past. That is a great part of life.
     But the greatest part is watching those grandkids -- Josie, Jacob, Kaden, Eli -- grow and seeing their personalities develop. And you are correct: They are all so darned cute.
     Bea and I -- surprise -- don't agree all the time. But we are battle-tested and not adverse to change, and we know how to get through this.
     With age does come health issues. They are a little more challenging each year. Nothing major or disastrous -- Bea has had more tests than I have -- but doctor visits do pile up. 
     But we keep a positive approach on those. We keep a positive view on most everything. I think it is important.
     So all those who saw my ugly side, my anger, so often, you can begin laughing now. I do not feel that anger much these days, and when I do, I try not to take it out on anybody.
I will deal silently with whatever feedback I get.
      (And most people know that they can still get me to laugh at just about anything. Doesn't take much.)
      Cannot stand mean-spirited people, mean-spirited thoughts. Will not deal with them (especially in e-mails or on Facebook). And I promise you, I will not respond in kind. That is why there is a "delete" button. Make a comment that I don't like on one of my posts, and it will be deleted.
     My goal simply is to be nice to people. And I know Bea feels the same way.
     We are far enough along in life that there is no time to waste on pettiness or issues that are out of our control. There is a lot of life to be lived, and we are going to enjoy it.     
---  
      And so, just for the record, here are the previous birthday blogs. To think, I was "only" 65 that first year of the blog -- and still working parttime.
     As long as my health holds out, I would prefer to keep writing these.     

https://nvanthyn.blogspot.com/2012/06/welcome-to-medicare-age-65.html
 
https://nvanthyn.blogspot.com/2013/06/its-double-happy-day.html

https://nvanthyn.blogspot.com/2014/06/gratitude-for-67-its-only-number.html

https://nvanthyn.blogspot.com/2015/06/another-year-another-birthday.html

https://nvanthyn.blogspot.com/2016/06/an-ideal-time-69-and-counting.html

https://nvanthyn.blogspot.com/2017/06/hitting-70-and-not-speeding.html



3 comments:

  1. From Ron Bell: Happy birthday and Fathers Day. Just keep on keeping on! It has been a true pleasure knowing you all of these years. I look forward to reading your blogs. Always a treasure trove of knowledge, wit, and musings of the present and the past.
    Hope we both live to be 100 and die peacefully in our sleep.

    ReplyDelete
  2. From Art and Jeanette Keim: Happy Birthday. You are a joy to be around. God loves you and so do we.

    ReplyDelete
  3. From Elinor Zind: Thank you for the nice update of your past year. May you have many more birthdays and enjoy watching your grandchildren growing up.
    Shalom/Salaam and may peace be with you always.

    ReplyDelete