Wednesday, May 23, 2018

Here's your ticket, and the cost is ... $220

      Took a $220 right turn at a "STOP" sign this morning.
      Received my first ticket in a dozen years for it. Did not deserve it. 
      But Mr. Motorcycle Cop -- excuse me, Mr. Motorcycle Policeman -- said I did. We disagreed, and it was not a pleasant conversation.
      I did not like it. I do not like it. 
      I told him at the end of our little disagreement -- after he handed me the ticket (and he did not have me sign a summons), I would challenge it. He said I had that right. 
      (I ended up not doing so. More on that below.)
The dastardly STOP sign and
intersection, today's troublemaker.
      This is one of life's no-win situations. When you fight the law -- especially on a simple stop-sign violation -- the law is going to win. You can take it to court and challenge it, but the fight is not worth the hassle.
      This was a stop sign we encounter 4-5-6 times a week, less than a mile from our apartments. It is often a busy intersection, traffic rolling off the nearby parkway or headed toward the busy University Drive and/or Interstate 30.
      So I darned well know the stop sign is there, and I always stop, and make sure nothing is rolling past us or turning from the other direction. (It is a three-way stop.)
      At any stop sign, I make sure the car rocks back a bit before I continue on. Have made a habit of that for years. Try to never dart out into the intersection, even delay a count.
      OK, I am coming back to this, and explain why I know I stopped and why I got the ticket. Hint: I was not the only one stopped.
      First, though, we went on to our intended destination -- the Wednesday yoga/stretching workout with Ms. Lorie at the downtown Central YMCA.
      Amazing how well you can exercise if you are a little fired up. I did have a slight pain in the back, but then -- thanks to the ticket -- I already had an encountered a pain in the butt.
      Here is why I know I stopped:      
Stopped here, the angle to the
left is where the motorcycle
policemen were sitting,
clearly within view.
-- As I came to the corner, I looked to my left and saw the two motorcycle policemen stopped at their stop sign as they had come off the parkway. So I knew they were there. You think I wasn't being careful?

      -- At any stop sign, I make sure the car rocks back a bit before I continue on. Have made a habit of that for years. Try to never dart out into the intersection, even delay a count.
      -- Bea, in the passenger's seat, was as surprised as I was. "They're pulling you over?" she asked. I thought maybe I had not turned on my right-turn blinker. To be told that I had not stopped properly was stunning.
      -- These two motorcycle guys, I contend, were intentionally looking to hand out tickets. 
      Moments after I stopped and the one officer -- I know the name, but I will keep it to myself -- approached me, the other officer pulled over two more cars. So there were three of us on the left side pulled over on the left side of the road.
      Maybe it was because it is Fort Worth Invitational golf week at nearby Colonial, and it is a busy, busy area. Maybe Fort Worth needs the money. Maybe these guys were trying to justify their existence. Maybe they were bored.
      Maybe they were being hard asses. My guy sure acted like it. 
      OK, he didn't like it that when he came up, and made his check to see all our licenses/tags were in order, asked for my driver's license and as he was punching in on his hand computer, I asked -- not happily -- "Why did you pull me over?" 
      He asked me why I was asking him that, that he didn't understand my question. I replied: "What did I do? (More loudly) "I STOPPED THE CAR." 
      He did not like that, any more than I liked his attitude. "Because I said you ran the stop sign," he told me. Don't think he appreciated me questioning his judgement and he told me I "was being disrespectful."
      His attitude basically was "because I said so."
      Then he told me to get in the car and wait for him to bring me the ticket.
      When he did, I assured him I was not trying to be disrespectful. I do have a lot of respect for law officers; I know how tough their jobs can be. We all should know that, and respect that.
      I then told him I was not trying to be disrespectful, but I wanted to talk to him about my (non)-stop. It was obvious he wasn't going to discuss it any further.
      He felt, as an officer, he had the right to stop me -- and he does. I felt, as a citizen, he made an incorrect judgement.
      Felt to me, with the others also pulled over, they were on a mission.
      Guess he did not have to explain himself, and I know they should be business-like; they are not there for chit-chat. But my guy seemed pretty full of himself, self-important, entitled, arrogant. Sorry I feel that way. He likely felt that way about me. Obviously he did not like me questioning -- or challenging -- him.
      Also, it seems as if this is a nitpicking violation/situation. No harm done, no one endangered. In basketball, the rule is "no harm, no foul." OK, I am whining.
      I am not a great driver (right, Laurin Baum?), never have been. But I am a respectful and courteous one -- use my blinker even with no one around, try not to speed or switch lanes carelessly (not careful enough at times), never honk my horn at anyone (haven't for years, don't believe in it), let people cut in front (sometimes to my wife's dismay), try not to swerve or crowd the car in front of me, stop at stop signs.
      Swerving caused my last ticket -- also undeserved -- at 12:30 a.m. leaving downtown Fort Worth after work. A group of kids in a convertible pulled up next to me at a stop light, loud and likely to have had some soda pops. So I swerved right to avoid their intrusion; unfortunately, a police car behind me pulled me over. He thought I was the one who had been drinking. I was too tired to be disrespectful that night.
      It was 12 years ago; in fact, the address the Fort Worth municipal courts system -- where fines are paid -- had for us was in North Richland Hills, two residences ago.
      So I have to rationalize this. Figure that one violates driving laws from time to time -- run a red light, go over the speed limit, drive recklessly (but not intentionally reckless) ... whatever. And you are not ticketed because no police is around.
      Today the timing was such that the motorcycle guys arrived at the stop-sign intersection just as we did. That's the way it goes. There was no stopping those guys' intent. 
---
      Went downtown in early afternoon, was sent -- after some paperwork -- to the traffic-court judge and she gave me my options.
      A trial date? No thanks. My word against the policeman's word (and if he brought his partner, it's one-against-two).
      The pro tem judge -- let's call her a veteran judge -- was nice enough, willing to set the court date. Said court costs would be involved. Asked her what my chances were, and she told me discussing that was not her task.
      Pay the fine and probation? OK. And the cost is ... ? Answer: court costs $102.10; special expense fee $117.90. That's $220. Go to the cashier window and pay.
      Done.
      It is not so much the money; we have it. It is the principle. The word of a man with an officer's badge is stronger than a 70-year-old driving -- driven -- to exercise.
       Going to cut way back on our driving soon, and planning to give up the car. As for the money, believe me I have found more on my walks this year. But it does cut into the profit margin.
      Told the judge that I was going to write about this. "Be sure you say that you had options," she said. Assured her I would be fair ... "unlike the guy this morning," I added.
      I think she laughed. But if not, fine. I already paid mine.
      Sure that Fort Worth needs the cash. Maybe to pay the police.

11 comments:

  1. From Ross Montelbano: Easy for me to say, but I wish that you would have contested the ticket. One being that you were right, I believe that. Second, the ticket would have been thrown out if the officer hadn't appeared in court and it is my understanding that they are notorious for no showing. Finally as a former city fire marshal and chief building official, I ENCOURAGED citizens to appeal. It is their right AND it forces the authorities to step up their game and make damn sure that they understand that if you aren't certain that you are correct, you ARE going to be embarrassed. Much of what bureaucracies do is based on the idea of being invincible. Losing that aura means they have to face bosses, judges and politicians that now have lost faith in them.
    Just my two cents.

    ReplyDelete
  2. From Sandi Atkinson: Sometimes, and I think it is rare, someone puts on a badge and it goes to their head! I think you got that one today.

    ReplyDelete
  3. From Kirby Ramsey: I feel your pain.

    ReplyDelete
  4. From Kitty van der Woude: Poor you! Happens here (Amsterdam area) all the time. Reina, my sister, once went to court because she was fined for not wearing her safety belt. She did wear it and she was furious: matter of principle. She won, by the way. One thing we learned is that a policeman's word is sacred: He/she is ALWAYS right. Hope you have wound down by now.

    ReplyDelete
  5. From John Whitmore: Enjoyed this piece. My last ticket (12 years ago) was for speeding -- 80 in a 70 zone. Really didn't think I was going that fast. He had radar. I couldn't argue. Sandy watches my speed now. No tickets since.

    ReplyDelete
  6. From Tommy Youngblood: Unfortunately I've been there and done that. Try to respect the badge but maybe not the guy.

    ReplyDelete
  7. From Frank Bright: I think that you have analyzed the situation perfectly. Small consolation, right?
    The other extreme is what we experience in Shreveport. The traffic laws are weakly enforced. Consequently, our streets are more dangerous than they would otherwise be. I guess this only proves once again that “it is not a perfect world.”

    ReplyDelete
  8. From Jim Pruett: I totally get it. Bet the policeman was young. Infuriating. BTW, think what’s happened to our brothers and sisters of color, forever... hmmm. Since you paid, I strongly suggest you let it go ASAP. Over.
    I got an undeserved one last year. Fortunately, it was for “speeding,” time dependent re school zone, and the officer had written the time on the ticket. A nearby sign clearly stated that the time was outside the “slow” time. I went to court, showed the ticket, the sign, the normal-time speed sign ... and won without further discussion.

    ReplyDelete
  9. From Joe Rhodes: Challenge it. odds are very good you'll get your money back because the cops wont show up to testify. And if they do, the burden of proof is on them.

    ReplyDelete
  10. From George Sylvie: I have to say this -- be grateful you are not a black pro basketball player for the Milwaukee Bucks. Or black, period.

    ReplyDelete
  11. From Vince Langford: Sounds like you were the victim of a traffic-ticket quota. Oklahoma recently lowered the fines for speeding tickets on state highways because troopers were giving too many warnings, knowing how much the fine was.

    ReplyDelete