Tuesday, March 6, 2018

The responses (and opinions) pour in on Louisiana College

      Here are the bulk of the comments/opinions received after the Tuesday morning e-mail/Facebook post concerning a lawsuit against Louisiana College and its president by an assistant football coach reportedly rejected for consideration because of his "Jewish descent."
      My comment of this response: Happy reading.
---
      -- "Wow."
       -- "My dad graduated from LC; I met my wife at LC; and Billy Allgood was my baseball coach for two years at LC. So much has changed over the last 40 years. Very sad."
       -- "Incomprehensible. What if Jesus had applied."
       -- "Jesus was Jewish (tribe of Judah). I would think that the school would welcome someone of whom God said, 'I will bless those who bless you, curse those who curse you.' (Genesis 12:3)"
       -- "Sad!"
       -- "I find it hard to believe that this is actually true."
       -- "Outrageous if true!"
       -- "Nice way to treat an alum."
       -- "Doesn't surprise me at all."
       -- "What about federal funding and this is a form of discrimination that would NOT be allowed? Fake news I hope."
       -- "Seriously??"
       -- "I hate stuff like this."
       -- "What!?!"
       -- "This would be so crushing for so many people on so many levels."  
       -- "It gives people who call themselves Christians give all Christians a bad name. You don't win many to Jesus this way. If it is true, LC has a lot of work to do. I hope it is not true."
       -- "Damn, this pisses me off. We live in America. Used to welcome all, no matter what your race, creed, ethnicity, religion, etc., etc. If this is a true and accurate story, and Brewer is behind this, they should fire him and send him on his way."
      -- "I really hope this is 'fake news' and Louisiana College isn't guilty of something so stupid."
     -- "As a Christian, I find this appalling. The president needs to be fired immediately and someone with a true Christian heart (love one another as Christ loves you) needs to be hired. I have lots of family who attended Louisiana College (being brought up as a Baptist in Louisiana that happens!)
        "I hate that the college is being sued when it is the president who made the decision. However, he represents the school and I understand why the lawsuit is against the school. One (pseudo?) Christian man in a position of power is hurting the reputation of an excellent school."
        -- "I did read this recently, and am dismayed by it. Will wait to see how the courts rule, but it is disturbing."
        -- "Wow! Amazing that this still happens, or is happening again, under current American leadership?"
        -- "I am shocked and disappointed, but wondering if the head coach was accurate in his report of the reason for the decision. I attended LC for three years and never saw this type of discrimination. It doesn't even represent Southern Baptist views, so not sure where the policy or view comes from. If that is the policy, even Jesus would not be allowed to coach at LC. I know Billy Allgood and the faculty during his time would not have agreed with the decision."
      -- "If the LC story is true (and I don't think that has been determined, it is beyond reprehensible and in no way representative of the beliefs and attitudes of the Baptist faith. I hope my love and friendship with you is a much clearer representation."
       -- "Very sad if the story is true. In the New Testament, Christian believers are told that we have been 'grafted in' to the root of Abraham. In essence, we have been adopted as brothers and sisters into the Jewish nation and are now co-recipients of all the promises God made to Abraham. That is why true Christians are very pro-Jewish. Unfortunately, there are many 'religious' people who are not true Christians."
        -- "Very sad. Aren't we supposed to expand our views in college?"
        -- "Wow! If this is true, then they need an attitude adjustment. I'm a Southern Baptist girl from way back, but have detested this 'holier and better than you' vibe that so many Protestants (and others) have subscribed to for years. Hope they have a change of heart. [This is] so not right."
        -- "Same thing happens at Baylor. This is going to become more and more common with the religious freedom movement. Another reason to retire some place besides Louisiana."
        -- "It's hard for me to believe that this sort of thing still exists. The president probably has a pointed white hat and robe in his closet. Excuse me, I have to go throw up now."
        -- "This is totally ridiculous! How could they think this would not be challenged?? I am appalled."
        -- "Interesting. This is the kind of thing that made me want to leave Louisiana. I still miss New Orleans, though, and go back every couple of years."
        -- "Gotta love those Baptists. Praise the Lord and pass the offering plate."
        -- "Truly sad but not surprising."
        -- "If there is a dumbass on earth that thinks like that, it would be in a place like Pineville, La. Just when you think we have evolved ..."
        -- "How very, very stupid and anti-Semitic that is, although not unusual in today's crazy world."
        -- "I read this in The Shreveport Times and couldn't believe it!!!!"
        -- "How sad if true."
        -- "That's unexplainable."
---
        -- "I agree with you, but in case you didn't know Brigham Young requires all its coaches to be Mormon."
        (Researched this, and could not verify it, other than a sentence from a 2004 story in the Daily Herald -- Provo, Utah -- which said: "BYU's head football and basketball coaches must be active members of the LDS Church who have been and will be good role models.") 
        Likely there are religious-affiliated schools/colleges in this country which would prefer -- or even demand -- that administration, faculty and coaches be of that religion.
         But, just two examples, that is not the case at the most prominent Catholic university, Notre Dame, or at the Catholic high school in Shreveport-Bossier, Loyola College Prep.
         Not certain how that applies to this Louisiana College issue, but there you have it.

No comments:

Post a Comment