Tuesday, February 6, 2018

An inspirational story: Connie Smith has made his life meaningful

          Connie Smith has been an inspiration to anyone who knows him, and the story linked below bears that out.
     He has been partially paralyzed since a swimming accident in 1971 -- the first two vertebrae in his neck were crushed -- but he has made a life for himself.
     It is a story much like that of Kenneth Harvey (Logansport), subject of a series of stories/posts on my blog and on Facebook. Their courage, and faith, and the lives they have lived since each had a horrific moment as  young men are testaments to strong will.
     Both were outstanding high school athletes, and Connie went on to compete in college for three years. But their dreams of athletic fame were shattered.
     Researching baseball history in North Louisiana brought a reminder of Connie Smith, who starred at Spearsville (La.) High School and in American Legion baseball for the T.L. James Contractors of Ruston, and then at East Texas Baptist College.
     He was a versatile baseball player, a leader, an All-State catcher in high school (Class B, 1968, .427 average, four home runs in 15 games) who played first base in Legion baseball, and then after a year at Louisiana Tech in which playing time was more sparing, a pitcher and shortstop after a transfer to ETBC.
     He also was a good high school basketball player, helping Spearsville into the state regionals, and was one of the top scorers on the La. Tech freshman team in 1968-69 (my senior year there). 
     "But baseball was my passion," he said. 
     His talent was impressive enough that he was selected in the 1971 Major League Baseball draft by  the San Francisco Giants. 
     MLB at that time did make the draft-pick lists public instantly, nor did we at The Shreveport Times cover it closely. So, unless you were around Spearsville and Ruston then, the news of his being drafted did not make The Times until three weeks later. 
     His accident occurred two weeks later, seven days after his 21st birthday. Life changed forever.
     After a long rehabilitation period, Connie -- in his wheelchair -- worked in law enforcement for some 35 years.
Connie and Linda Smith (from his Facebook page)
     And then he had a calling to serve the Lord. For the past 15 years, he has been pastor of Fellowship Baptist Church in rural Dubach, La. -- 13 miles north of Ruston. It is another 19 miles north to Spearsville (also rural), which is in upper Union Parish near the Arkansas border.
     Spearsville -- many familiar with North Louisiana athletics know this -- is a basketball/baseball town. Among my friends from there, athletes all, were the late Cecil Upshaw, Ike Futch, R.V. Lockwood, Joey Barron and James Smith (Connie's older brother).
     James is back living in Spearsville after 25 years as a women's basketball coach at Northwestern State University, where he became a legend. After eight seasons as top assistant coach, he was the Lady Demons' head coach for 17 years, and his teams won 340 games and played in four postseason tournaments (two NCAAs). 
      And you know he is as proud of his younger brother, as Connie is of him.
      Connie and wife Linda built a home with a Farmerville address and lived there for 35-plus years. When he turned to his second career -- as a pastor -- they moved to a home a quarter-mile from the Fellowship church.
      "I love it here," Connie said Monday when we talked by phone. "This is one of those things God just opened up for us."
---
      Here then is a story written by Brian Blackwell in July 2006 and posted online on  baptistmessage.com.:
     Wheelchair not a handicap for this pastor
     DUBACH -- Pastor Connie Smith may be confined to a wheelchair, but his congregation has never considered his disability a hindrance to their leader's ministry.
      "Since Brother Connie has been here, we don't even notice that he has a limitation," Deacon William Green said of their pastor, who was called to Fellowship Baptist Church in Dubach last month. "His good qualities outweigh that."
     Before Smith became pastor at Fellowship Baptist, Connie Ward said the congregation was struggling with transition. Since then, Fellowship Baptist and Smith have been the perfect fit for one another.
      "The people's attitude toward Connie (Smith) is what Fellowship Baptist is all about," explained Ward, pastor of Zion Hill Baptist Church in Farmerville. "To see God bring these two together has been a joy to my heart."
The Shreveport Times story, Aug. 1, 1971
     Smith's journey to Fellowship Baptist is an amazing story, indeed. If not for an accident on July 11, 1971, Smith may never have entered into the ministry.
     A former draft pick of the San Francisco Giants, Smith was spending that afternoon in 1971 with some friends at an East Texas lake before he was scheduled to report to camp in a week-and-a-half to play for the baseball team's A farm club.
     But in the blink of an eye, the Spearsville native's life changed.
     Smith attempted to skim just beneath the top of the water. However, in what Smith calls a "freakish accident," his forehead hit the bottom of the lake, three feet deep, leaving him paralyzed.
     Smith's next one-and-a-half years were spent in Denver and New Orleans hospitals and rehabilitation centers.
     Soon after he completed his rehabilitation in 1971, Smith married his high school sweetheart, Linda, and entered the workforce.
      "I couldn't have made it without Linda," Smith said. "She has been such a help to me as a spouse and pastor."
     After working as a dispatcher at the Union Parish Sheriff's Office, he moved to the Lincoln Parish Detention Center to become the control room operator. By the time, he retired from the detention center, Smith had worked himself to the position of assistant warden.
     Since he was retired, Smith devoted more time to service at Zion Hill Baptist. It was there that Smith discovered his need for Christ and, in 1995, he made a profession of faith.
     For the next eight years, Smith was an active member of the church, serving as a deacon. Eventually, his heart for Christian service led to a call to full-time ministry in 2004.
      "I had been feeling God dealing with me for some time," Smith said. "For years I had run from salvation. But I told Connie Ward that I wasn't going to run from this call to preach."
     One year later Zion Hill Baptist called Smith as its associate pastor.
      To support his call to preach, Zion Hill Baptist allowed Smith to preach monthly one Sunday there and two Sundays at other area churches. One church he preached at, Fellowship Baptist, extended a call to serve as its interim pastor in August 2005.
     For three months, Smith struggled with the decision.
     "Each day my family, which now included a God-given 15-year-old daughter, Heather Elizabeth Meredith, and I passed by Zion Hill as I was on my way to preach at Fellowship," Smith said. "It hit me that the Lord was leading me away from Zion Hill to be the pastor of Fellowship. We felt like if it was God's will, I wanted to be at the center of His will."
     In December 2005, Smith accepted the call as interim pastor. Six months later, the church called Smith as its pastor by unanimous secret ballot votes.
     "I had struggled with the possibility of 'no' votes," Smith recalled. "For my assurance that this was God's leading, I wanted there to be unity among the members.
     "When I found that 100 percent of the congregation voted to call me as pastor, it reassured me that this was the place for me to serve."
     For Smith, Fellowship Baptist has been like a second family.
     "God couldn't place me in a better situation and church," Smith said. "From the time I was here, I felt at home immediately."
---
     He is still serving today.
     "God has truly blessed me," Connie said Monday. "A lot of people died from accidents like what happened to me. I was able to work all my life, and I have not had any major health problems.
     "It was definitely a change [in lifestyle, after the accident," he said. "But it has been a blessed life."
     And the kid baseball player -- who was a player -- added this: "When spring is near, I can still feel the spring of the ball coming off the wooden bat."        

8 comments:

  1. From Connie Smith: Thank you for letting me go down an old road again. I had almost forgotten how good those days were.

    ReplyDelete
  2. From Joey Barron: Nice article. Thanks for sharing. My wife and I remodeled the house in Spearsville where I grew up, and we spend many weekends there. I see James Smith every time I go there. You may know that he married my cousin. I have seen Connie over the years and it is nice to see someone doing what they feel “called” to do. Not everyone can take the lemons that life gives them and make lemonade.

    ReplyDelete
  3. From Frank Bright: We can never be told enough to “play the hand you are dealt.” Thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  4. From O.K. "Buddy" Davis: Great story on a great human being. Gosh, I had forgotten about Connie.

    ReplyDelete
  5. From Ed Sexton: Great article. Played with Connie and James with the T.L. James Contractors. I went to Spearsville one Saturday evening in my Dad’s El Camino and came home with a load of watermelons. My mother was giving them away to friends saying the Smiths had given them to me. I’m sticking with her story. We had a lot of great times playing ball back then.

    ReplyDelete
  6. From Kitty van der Woude (in The Netherlands): Remarkable story! In this country, Connie is a girl's name. This man is the kind of person one cannot but admire.

    ReplyDelete
  7. From Ike Futch: Great stuff about Connie. I was still playing when that happened and only got bits and pieces of it later. Now I have the real story. Thanks so much for sharing.
    A few things I might add about Spearsville baseball. Connie would have been the fifth player, counting Cecil, to sign a pro baseball contract. Bobby Enkins (Brooklyn Dodgers, about 1953), me (Yankees), Cecil (Braves), R.V. (Dodgers), and Connie (Giants). We could almost add George Stone since his uncle, Melvin Stone, lived in Spearsville.
    Connie also played on the third of three state baseball championships Spearsville won (1952, 1959 and 1970). Glenn Haynes coached the 1952 team and [older brother] Frankie Futch coached the 1959 and 1970 teams.

    ReplyDelete
  8. From Jimmy Russell: We (Benton) played Spearsville in the playoffs at Tech my second year as a high school coach. If I am not mistaken Connie Smith was considered their best player. Spearsville was coached by one of the Futches and I believe it was Frankie.

    ReplyDelete