Tuesday, October 10, 2017

Vinny and KG: the best in our business

     In my 45 years of newspapering, Vince Langford and Ken Gladstone were the absolute best at what they did.
     Sports copy editors -- an unsung, behind-the-scenes job.
     Without them working to make stories accurate and sharp, to write -- or as often was the case, rewrite -- headlines, journalism loses.
     As of this week, both are retired.
Vince Langford (Star-Telegram photo)
     Before I go any further, you should know this: These two guys are among the best friends I ever worked alongside. (Ken is a year or two older than me; Vince a few years younger). So, yes, I am extremely partial.
     We shared many stories and laughs, and we battled -- grinded -- toward many late-night deadlines. I greatly admired their work ethic and their dedication. 
     But anyone who worked with them -- Vinny at the Houston Post (which folded in 1995) and for the last 21 years at the Fort Worth Star-Telegram (I was there for almost 10), KG at the Florida Times-Union in Jacksonville for 24 years (five when I was there) and then 11 more at the Orlando Sentinel -- likely will tell you what I'm telling you.
     They were excellent sports copy editors. They were the heart of the sports-desk operation.
     I worked with many talented sports columnists and writers, layout people (designers, in more modern terms) and sports editors. Some were as good as Vinny and KG in what they did; none was better.
     Yet while you easily would recognize columnists and writers from their photos and bylines, few outside our building knew just how valuable these guys were. 
     But those of us on the sports desks sure as heck knew.
Valerie and Ken Gladstone
     Vinny and KG knew the English language -- yes, grammar and punctuation and sentence structure; they knew sports, and sports history, and when they weren't sure, they were diligent fact-checkers. 
     They could polish well-done columns and stories; they could make the so-so efforts reasonable reads. They often improved headlines, or came up with clever ones themselves. 
     And they did it with a soft touch, not tearing up what the writers had done ... and doing it quietly. Rarely if ever did they admonish or criticize anyone publicly -- a great trait.
     Never heard either of them talk much about themselves, certainly not brag -- no ego involved -- and they deflected praise the best they could. No bull or craziness from them.
     Going to say right here that neither -- especially Vinny -- will relish this blog piece being done. But it's my blog, so ... 
     (And if they want to make corrections, as they have done often on things I wrote or missed while copy editing, they are free to do so.)
---
     Most appreciated, though, by me -- not exactly Mr. Cool -- was their ability to work through the chaos of a newsroom, specifically the sports desk.
     It could be a noisy place, full of mischief and "jocularity" -- thank you, Father Mulcahy of M*A*S*H -- and people watching (not quietly) games on television. 
     Vinny and KG just kept working. Not much time to waste, no desire to let stories pile up in their queues. (There were editors -- assigning editors -- and copy editors who took forever to work stories, and of course, writers filing copy who pushed us to the limit -- and beyond -- on deadline.)
     They were most often responsible for "the last read" on stories and columns, so it was a key role.
     Neither had final say of story play and photo selection; that was left to the sports editors/assistant sports editor, "night editors" and main design people. But Vinny and Ken made many big decisions on how well stories read.
      (Two others, Steve Schroats and Roger Pinckney, filled the night editor/copy chief roles most nights at the Star-Telegram, both with the same selfless traits as Vinny.)
     Ken's title at the Times-Union was sports copy "chief" (hail to our chief), although at one point before I arrived he had been a co-sports editor.
     Vinny did not have a "chief" title, but most nights that in effect is what he was. He most often made out the "duty roster" -- assigning stories to the copy editors -- and no question that he directed traffic in our department.
     (The night of my "tryout" at the Star-Telegram, my tall and talented friend Vince assigned me 14-15-16 stories -- I lost count; it was a terribly busy night -- and it was so many that the department workers thought I'd never return. I did, to haunt them for a decade.)
     My guys were intense workers. If the noise or fun got to be too much (I was never guilty of that, right), Vinny sometimes pointedly put a stop to it. But when there was time, he had as great a sense of humor as anyone.
      KG was more laid-back. He did not often instigate the fun, but took part in the laughter. But I do know of one instance he did not appreciate.
      A new sports editor -- words were not his strong suit -- was talking with Ken about his role on the sports desk and observed "you make a lot of money for what you do."
      That did not go over well with KG, and even less with me when he related that tale to me.     
---       
      In the massive reduction in the newsroom at the Star-Telegram over the past nine years, Vince survived. Having reached Medicare age and needing to take care of family matters, he leaves this week -- thankfully, on his own accord.
      He is going home to Tulsa to care for his elderly mother, and I am sure, root for the Oklahoma Sooners -- he is an OU graduate (1973) -- and the Houston Astros. He will commiserate with me on what he always calls "the Yankee boys."
      I suspect that Vinny would have stayed longer at the Star-Telegram had the job not changed. But the McClatchy Corp. powers have broken apart the sports desk for a "universal" desk, and the job title "audience growth editor" -- where online clicks are more important than the old-style print newspaper -- is not what we desired. (Cannot imagine myself in that role.)
      KG has been a Florida resident since high school, a transplanted Long Islander who came to Ocala with his retiring parents and did a couple of stints at the University of Florida (so he's a Gators fan; he's not perfect).
      He got his layoff note from the Orlando paper in 2011, worked a couple of short-lived sports copy editing jobs since then, and through some health issues, had fun working at Disney World and now as an Uber driver.
      If he had his choice, I'm guessing, he still would be editing sports copy at a large daily newspaper.
      We share a lot of "inside" jokes, and one is the rumor that Val and Ken have been married for 21 years (gee, we missed the wedding). KG also knows that we had "morons on our team" and "we have got no money going down the mountain." (These are lines I adopted/adapted from Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid. He's heard them often.)
      As I said, newspapers are a poorer lot without Vinny and KG. 
      I have used my blog to say thank you to many people who played important roles in my life and my career, and here are two more. 
      They edited to daylight, and nearly every day made very good sports sections even better.

20 comments:

  1. From Roger Pinckney: Agree 100 percent; Vinny can never be replaced.

    ReplyDelete
  2. From Doug Ireland: Like linemen in football, who rarely get noticed but are the foundation for any success ...

    ReplyDelete
  3. From Andy Friedlander: I wish I could be as good at what I do as Vince is at what he does -- or, now, did.

    ReplyDelete
  4. From Dusty Schwab: Vince is one of the most intelligent people I've ever been around. Extremely thankful to have worked with that man.

    ReplyDelete
  5. From John Henry: Audience growth editor. This is the stuff they come up with in labs at the business school. My God.

    ReplyDelete
  6. From Keeli Pointer Garza: I love this. Two of the best in the business!

    ReplyDelete
  7. From Brian Hodges: Looks good. Ken Gladstone is a champ.

    ReplyDelete
  8. From Amanda Reiter: I only exchanged a few words with Vince, and I believe it was because he was always so engrossed with making sure he was putting out a good product. Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
  9. From Jason Brown: Vince was the only person on the desk I feared, and I mean that about 80 percent in the biblical/reverent sense and 20 percent in the literal. I'd posit his sense of humor is what makes him Vinny. Much respect.

    ReplyDelete
  10. From Mark Finley: Well said. Vince was a master at what he did, and I became a better copy editor because of him. Thanks, Vince, and have a great retirement!

    ReplyDelete
  11. From Jeff Rude: Recall KG being a pro's pro.

    ReplyDelete
  12. From Michele Machado: Great stuff. I respected Vinny a great deal in my 11 years on the sports copy desk at the S-T. Lots of good times and hard work.

    ReplyDelete
  13. From Lori Dann: Vince was the best. A true MVP. Really enjoyed working with him, and you, on the FWST sports copy desk.

    ReplyDelete
  14. From Gregory Morrison: Gosh how I miss a sports section. The [Shreveport] Times rolled out a "new" layout today. It's so so bad.

    ReplyDelete
  15. From John Gravois: I don't compliment you often, so you know I mean it when I do. But this was a nice piece and you're a class act for recognizing good people and good journalists like Vince and KG.

    ReplyDelete
  16. From Ken Gladstone: First, let me say how sincerely touched I am that you would write such nice things about two crusty copy editors. I’m sure nobody else has ever said such nice things about me. Thank you!
    Now, in the spirit of what you praised me for: corrections.

    ReplyDelete
  17. From Yale Youngblood: I worked with Vince in Wichita Falls right after I graduated from college. He took me under his wing and taught me a lot, and for that I will be forever grateful. He's definitely one of my favorite former co-workers, as well.

    ReplyDelete
  18. From Scott McCoy: If I could give Nico a hard time and get a laugh from Vince in the process, I considered it a good night on the desk.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You were good at that, Scott, and Vinny got many laughs.

      Delete