Wednesday, August 16, 2017

Here is my red line ...

     
Marching in Charlottesville (nbcnews.com photo)
My mother spent 25 years talking publicly -- and privately -- about the Holocaust, and warning how anti-Semitism and bigotry is still out there and can rise again.
       And here we are.
       Thinking of my mother and father, who were Holocaust survivors and who lost practically their entire families at the hands, guns and gas chambers of the Nazis ...
       Miss them, but glad they are not here for these times and this President.
       I have written about my parents' lives and about their Holocaust experiences, and about some of their friends ... because it is part of my history, my family's history.
       I cannot, and will not, be silent on Charlottesville and the aftermath. The President's at-first weak and then defiant response is unacceptable.
       You don't agree, you can "unfriend" on Facebook or "unfollow" me, or tell me to you want off my e-mail list. Fine. I don't care.
       I have waited to express that, even with criticism from old (and not-so-old) friends after my two political-type posts last year. One of those posts was a defense of the media, and my view that "fake news" references are propaganda from a candidate/President who relies almost daily on targeting someone or some entity.
       But if you can find a defense for this, for his "many sides" BS, for any kind of "out" for the white supremacy, Nazi-KKK-alt right creeps -- and I could use much more colorful descriptions, I don't need you. 
       That goes for anyone, friends from 60 years ago, whatever. This is my parting shot.
       Don't want to get too deep into politics and social issues because it hisses off so many people. I understand the difference between conservative viewpoints and liberal ones, and most of you know where I lean. But I don't lean as much as some of my friends and family.
       But this issue, the current uprising of these Nazis and KKK hoodlums, and their "leaders" whose faces and voices we see and hear too much, the torches burning in the night, the violence erupting (and the prospect of much more), no thanks.
       Just as so many of you were critical of the previous President and the losing Presidential candidate, this President can be criticized every minute of every day. I don't have time or space, except to say I trust the media people we watch a helluva lot more. They are articulate -- and he's not.
       They are articulate -- and he's not. (Just repeating, as he does with almost every sentence he likes.)
       That statement he read Saturday was a joke. Obviously someone wrote for him, as they write almost everything for him these days -- and when he goes off-script, that's when he begins hammering anyone he thinks he needs to hammer (including his Cabinet members and his Republican "friends" in Congress).
       Guarantee you he's never said the word "egregious" before in his life.
       He read that statement Saturday, and the one Tuesday, without any real meaning, without conviction, without empathy. But with plenty of fire and fury when admonishing the media and interrupting -- "excuse me, excuse me ... I'm not finished."
       His rudeness, just as in the debates and the campaign, is overwhelming. His supporters love it; he's "being tough." That is a bunch of bull. His indecency is well-publicized, and it matters not to so many. 
       I much prefer a President who shows class -- whether you agree with him or not -- and can empathize and sympathize. This hate- and fear-mongering bully has none.
       I had a friend tell me several weeks ago, "Anyone who criticizes the President is a bad person."
       Unbelievable. Yes, the office of the President should be respected. But the person in the office should earn that respect. So many refused to give that to the last President.
       You could disagree with his policies and the tone of the country, again I understand. But he was -- my opinion -- not abusive. Nor were Presidents Reagan, Bush and Bush.
       As for the statues honoring the South's Civil War heroes, I don't have a strong opinion. They honor a history, but if they are offensive to African-Americans -- whose  ancestors were the slaves of so many, including our Presidents and the South's war heroes -- you should understand. 
       Same for the Confederate flag.
       Same for KKK hoods and torches.  
       Same for us, the Nazi flag and Nazi gear and Nazi propaganda, and -- heaven forbid -- Nazi statues. Same for KKK hoods and torches.  
       Much of the past should be the past, not the present.
       So, as I posted on Facebook, here are links to re-posts by a couple of journalist friends I respect. 
       From Bob Mann, former Shreveport Journal writer political analyst/teacher in Baton Rouge, on the synagogue in Charlottesville:     
https://www.facebook.com/nvanthyn/posts/1549580738433195?notif_t=like&notif_id=1502896258022518
       From Evan Grant -- Jewish, a late 1980s Shreveport Times sportswriter en route to covering the Texas Rangers for The Dallas Morning News:
https://www.dallasnews.com/opinion/commentary/2017/08/15/dallas-holocaust-survivors-past-suddenly-become-painfully-present
       So there you have it. We are always aware of the Nazi/KKK/alt-right/white supremacists history and the Nazi/KKK/alt-right/white supremacists ways. My mother knew, and she spoke.
       During the Presidential campaign, Mr. Trump was slow to disavow David Duke's "endorsement" and -- again -- finally did disavow, after prodding, without much conviction. He's hired alt-right, Nazi sympathizers for his White House staff.
       It was predictable, to me, during the Presidential campaign and the white supremacists' obvious delight with this candidacy -- and again now, with their gleeful response to his Tuesday outburst and blame on the "alt-left," that their protests and violence was not far away. I'm surprised it took six months.
       They now have been emboldened and empowered, and what about those neo-Nazis in Europe seeing this?
       We don't accept the "many sides" drivel, we do not accept the "we want to take our country back" crap, we do not accept so much of what this President stands for and, even more, what he says.
       This is beyond politics. It's bigotry and hatred. You don't like what I'm saying, good-bye.       

15 comments:

  1. From Dale Brown: BRAVO! BRAVO! BRAVO! "Silence is evil's greatest ally" -- Dr. Harry Edwards. Was it Einstein who said, "It is not the evil people that worry me but the good people who do not do something about the evil?" WE MUST BE HEARD LOUD AND CLEAR AND RIGHT NOW!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. From Matt Hayes: Nice job on your last post, Coach. Had to be said. Can't be forgotten.

    ReplyDelete
  3. From Priscilla Wright: Thanks for your typical honesty. I so agree with you about denouncing any group or person who avows the Nazi and white supremacists' philosophies. I am going to share this on my Facebook page.

    ReplyDelete
  4. From Kitty Wiener (daughter of Holocaust survivors): You read my mind ... glad my family didn't live to witness this added disaster.

    ReplyDelete
  5. From Jacqueline Frankenhuis (daughter of a Holocaust survivor): Wow! You are angry! I totally and utterly agree with you. Well written and well said! Kol Hakavod! ("all the honor")

    ReplyDelete
  6. From Elizabeth Loftin: It was time for you to speak. We must speak. Silence condones the bigotry and hatred.

    ReplyDelete
  7. From Nancy Evans: As always you hit the mark! Sharing in the hope that it will make a difference once read! Thank you.

    ReplyDelete
  8. From Gary Hanson: This is just not acceptable in America today! No Nazis! No Dukes! ... How many more times in my lifetime do I have to make these statements? Thank you to the heads of our uniformed services for your courage and decency.

    ReplyDelete
  9. From Netty Matthews: Dank je wel. Ik heb ook eindelijk wat geschreven op facebook het afgelopen weekend. (Thank you. I finally wrote something on Facebook last weekend.)

    ReplyDelete
  10. From George Sylvie: Well said. And the silence from our "friends" out there is deafening!

    ReplyDelete
  11. From Philip Kopuit (son/grandson of survivors of World War II): It's so unbelievable and shocking. Agree with every single word of your blog.

    ReplyDelete
  12. From Leo Van Thyn (son of Holocaust survivors): You're speaking for me, cousin. Proud of you.

    ReplyDelete
  13. From Don Birkelbach: Great comments. Couldn't agree with you more. I am totally embarrassed to be an American today. Don't know how we will survive four years of this, but hopefully we will.

    ReplyDelete
  14. From Sandi Atkinson: While you and I seldom agree politically, the essence of your post is something I can totally agree with this time.
    What concerns me most is the recent uprisings of the white supremacist groups using the first amendment to spew their disgusting rhetoric. While I agree that everyone should be able to speak their mind in this free country, these groups choose times and locations where they know they will create chaos.

    ReplyDelete
  15. From Ron Bell: I salute you for your comments on such over-the-top racists incidents. We grew up in a city that was definitely racist. I can remember the "white only" water fountains and restrooms, segregated schools, churches, etc, etc. Fortunately, my parents taught me to respect all races and religions. Today, things are far different from what they were then. Thankfully, only a small number on both sides of the race divide play the race card to suite their own corrupted agendas.
    Keep telling the truth in your blogs. Hopefully the majority of Americans who do not harbor these hateful prejudices will prevail.

    ReplyDelete